Monday, September 17, 2018

Scrappy Triangles QAL - Caught Up

I'm still involved with the last of three QALs (quilt alongs) that I participated in during the past year.

The "Year of Scrappy Triangles," led by Leila (SewnbyLeila) has actually been a weekly block release. Every Tuesday, Leila puts another - different! - foundation paper-pieced block on her blog. That's where I go to get it, and print it onto a newsprint-weight foundation paper.

While Leila took a week off this past week, to vacation in Paris, I spent many hours catching up. I started by cutting out all the pieces, and then made good use of sewing machine time during the Central Florida MQG Sew-In, on Saturday, September 8, I kept at it here at home to catch up to Block 46!

As I was 16 blocks behind, piecing took a while.
I have continued to piece my blocks with fabrics from my canvas bins, where I store scrappy bits sorted by color.

Since I had my lighting set-up, I thought to put them all on my design wall. This is all 46 weeks of 6-1/2" X 6-1/2" unfinished blocks (so far), plus one bonus block for signing-up for Leila's newsletter.

I'm thinking that I'd like to put the blocks together in a quilt top that's larger than the baby quilt these will make. Maybe add some calming blocks like half-square triangles pieced from solid colors.

Anyway, it feels good to be caught up... until tomorrow when Leila releases another block. Linda

10 comments:

  1. I am also participating in this QAL thanks to your mention of it earlier this year. I've been making 4 or 5 of each one as my plan is to make a full size quilt. Each one of the set is different. The quilt will definitely be Scrappy when completed - a reflection of the fabrics in my stash from my various projects. I am also caught up thanks to taking a "staycation" the last week of August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to make a fabulous little quilt! I love the bright and bold colors, and those neutrals are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following along but still working on other stuffs.
    Your blocks look happy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I'm just 3 or so blocks behind you. I have no idea what I'll do with mine, considering I made just one of each too. Time will tell. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HST are always a fun quilt to assemble. Love the brightness of your chevron quilt top. Inspiring. D. Weeks (aka Momma Llama)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI! You're a "no-reply commenters," but I wanted to say thanks for your compliment. I think these bright colors would be great for a baby quilt, don't you? I’m hopeful that a certain niece, who is expecting her first baby in February, might be amenable to it. But if not, I will just be grateful that I sewed together/used up some scraps.

      Delete
  6. Nice progress! The colors just pop on the mostly white backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just gorgeous, so happy and bright and it would indeed make a lovely baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah for getting caught up. I love the zig zag layout and how it brings all the pieced triangles together into continuous lines. Great graphic impact.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin