Sunday, January 25, 2015

Showcase

Friday and Saturday was Quilting Guild of The Villages' (QGOTV) bi-annual Showcase of quilts. It's a members-only show with a limit of two quilts, and optional participation in the challenge.

I entered two quilts made in 2012 that I've blogged about before: Bloom, a design by Emma Jean Jansen of Australia; and Dandelion Clock, my original design for the MQG's Riley Blake Challenge. I was tickled to learn in a Thursday evening phone call, that both of them earned ribbons: a first, and a third!

It's apparent in these pictures that I store and fold my quilts on the diagonal! I do so because many years ago I read a Quilter's Newsletter Magazine article about the best way to fold a quilt. It mades complete sense. When you fold a quilt on the diagonal, you're folding on the bias. That's the fabric weave with the most play - the most stretch - meaning that it's the fold of least resistance, and therefore lessens damage to a folded and stored quilt. The lighting made shadows that seem to emphasize my fold marks! I can't help but notice the big X in this one. Ergh.

But gosh, I'm honored to receive these wins! Ribbons were handmade by one of the chapters. Aren't they well done?!

Sitting outside the show was this golf cart. Of course, I had to look for one of my donated blocks, and found it.

This is the third golf cart cover that's been made from guild members' orphan blocks. The covers will be used whenever the guild wants to promote something in one of the various parades during the year. I sure hope that front windshield cover is flipped back! 

Quilting Guild of The Villages has recently topped 1,000 members in 18 chapters. Guess there are a few 50 and older people who are interest in quiltmaking. Linda

24 comments:

  1. Very cool! So pleased at your ribbons - so well deserved!
    And I got a kick out of that golfcart cover... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations - how exciting!!
    Love the golf cart cover too. I went to a quilt show last week (here in New Zealand) and there was a mini car sporting a quilted cover outside the hall to advertise the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your two ribbons. Very much deserved. I've seen car quilted covers, but this is the first time I've ever seen them for golf carts; but of course, what else would be appropriate where all of you drive golf carts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, but no surprises! Love your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations they are lovely quilts and deserve the recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for the lovely ribbons, Linda! Congratulations! I really got a kick out of the golf cart cover....clever advertisement!! Someone in KC should make covers for their car and drive around to advertise the KCRQF coming up next summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations! Beautiful quilts indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations are in order again! Well done and well deserved. Love the golf cart cover, what a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations are in order again! Well done and well deserved. Love the golf cart cover, what a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your wins Linda. They are both such lovely quilts. Love the golf cart idea. How fun it would be to drive around in one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, the quilts really do look wonderful. Those golf carts are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the awards. The quilts are beautiful and thoroughly deserve their ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A well deserved congratulations for your ribbons. Beautiful quilts, expertly stitched and quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the ribbons! Attended the show on Saturday, and it was packed. A good show, and I saw your quilts. Love the Dandelion Clock especially. So unique. The growth is amazing. When I first went to the show, I believe there were 9 chapters. Now doubled- wow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your ribbons. The quilts are beautiful. There's a guild here that has an older sedan car covered with quilted fabric. Love the ingenuity of quilters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the ribbons. I remember seeing the 1st one at MQX last year and it was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, SHAME ON ME!!!! I had both of you quilts on my blog (along with your label) but I honestly didn't read the names on any of them...I was more concerned with the quilts!!! Both of yours were my favorites and your workmanship was/is outstanding!!!!! Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations both are really beautiful,. Love your golf cart cover so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are 2 lovely quilts - the ribbons were well-deserved! What a clever tip about folding quilts. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are 2 lovely quilts - the ribbons were well-deserved! What a clever tip about folding quilts. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, those ribbons! They are exquisitely made and were placed on the perfect quilts. Congrats! Thanks for the tip. You're right, it does make more sense. You certainly are in the perfect spot for you! So glad you are enjoying being at The Villages.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on your lovely quilts and well-earned ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was so fun seeing your name in the AQS magazine! "I know her!"

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow - 1000 members! Congratulations on the new ribbons....your quilting is so beautiful that I know why they won. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin