Thursday evening was the fourth meeting of our Des Moines Chapter of the Modern Quilt Guild (DSMMQG). Our speakers were Jill and Marny of ModernQuiltRelish, who offered a super program about the elements of design, and their experiences judging the Ann Arbor (Michigan) Chapter of MQG's "Kona Solids Challenge." Through discussion, I learned more about what I might do to create a satisfactory quilt for our "Habitat" challenge, due by the September meeting. Thanks Jill and Marny!
At the end of the evening, those of us who'd made potholders, drew numbers to swap them, returning home with the same number of potholders but different ones than we'd arrived with. These are the two I took home. Oddly enough, I drew numbers for potholders that were made by the same person! Veronica. Very cute!
I swapped two potholders I made and kept a couple for myself.
This 9" square potholder was my first attempt at fabric weaving. To make this one, I used Kona solid white, and a rolie-polie (2-1/2" strips) recently won in a giveaway from Riley Blake.
I also played around with no binding (potholder above) and binding.
To make the potholders useable, I inserted The Warm Company's Insul-bright between two layers of batting. Whoever uses these potholders should be able take a hot dish from the oven, or protect a tabletop from heat.
Since I've lately become enamored with the Circle of Geese FPP block, I decided to shrink the design for two more 9" square potholders.
What I learned through this is:
1) Next time I won't use two layers of batting. One layer of batting and one layer of Insul-Bright should be enough.
2) I prefer the appearance of a potholder with binding, but next time I'll make each corner a curve, so I don't have to mess with mitering.
3) I don't think I can bring myself to actually use such pretty little quilts!