Where have I been? Nowhere. I'm still here, keeping busying with my usual activities - bible study, exercise, and sewing room activities, in that order.
About three weeks ago I started a Beth Moore bible study called "Beloved Disciple." That disciple is John. Though the study was published in 2002, it's relevant. Alongside the the study, and because Beth Moore will be at Lutheran Church of Hope (West Des Moines, Iowa) September 25-26, I just finished listening to Beth's autobiography, All My Knotted-up Life. I have friends who don't care to listen to her because of her thick Arkansas accent, but I understand her and find her extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic on her favorite topic: Jesus. If you "know" Beth, have ever participated in one of her bible studies (I have many times) or have heard her speak, I highly recommend her book. The audiobook was particularly meaningful because she narrates it herself (you can hear her shedding tears) sharing thoughtful personal and experiential information.
In the sewing room, something new is underway as I've turned my focus to starting another quilt, this one for our Central Florida MQG's "2nd Chance Fabric Challenge." At least 25% of the quilt is to be from upcycled materials - fabrics that were previously "something else." In my case, these are Dad's plaid sport shirts, and a beige, pin-striped flat sheet recently found at a thrift store - "Wow! How perfect?!" - for a whole $2.75!
The design is simple, geometric, and modern. As I've been able, I've included a little bit of transparency in the design.
With this approximately 68" X 80" quilt top about half-way pieced, I feel confident I'll meet the October 10 due date.
You'd never guess which print was formerly boxers. :-) I backed many pieces with Pellon EK130 Easy Knit, to give them more stability.
Last Thursday I went on a day trip "outside the bubble." Having been at home/staying local all summer, I was happy to enjoy a get away with these two quilt-y friends: Barb who is the 4-H Club leader; and Karen who is also originally from Iowa.
We went to Brooksville, Florida, about an hour away, to see what's what at Panbanged Knits and Fiber Shoppe. The owner, Christen, was a wealth of knowledge and imparted so much yarn-y information it was difficult to take it all in!
Christen has a line of hand-dyed yarns called Brooksville Fiber Company, and while I would loved to have invested in a several hanks, the price had me thinking to hold off until I'm a better knitter.
Christen had a garment rack of completed crocheted and knitted garments, so I tried on several shawls/shawlettes in different shapes - triangle, asymmetrical, and rectangle. For a November wedding, I'd like to knit one to wear with a solid-color dress. I bought one ball of yarn and this pattern, to knit a garter stitch shawl.
Along with green needle point covers, those were my only purchases as I'm making myself finish my Summer Soul Top before starting the shawl. I can't tell you how many times I've frogged this top! But now the back is done, including ribbing. I'm making good progress on the front. Maybe I'm getting the hang of it?
![]() |
| Left: Summer Soul Top in progress Right: new DK yarn - Schoppel Zauberball, Color 2092 "Crazy" |
By the way, I'm all-in on Ravelry now. My profile is there along with pics of my projects, finished and unfinished. Let me know if I can find you there.
After lunch at The Bistro in Brooksville, we stopped at Hobby Lobby (a larger store than locally), and then drove to Inverness, Florida.
I had intended that we shop at Fiber Arts Gallery in Inverness - another yarn store. We didn't know until we parked, walked to the Masonic Business Center, and reached the door of the third floor shop, that it was closed for summer vacation. Well that was disappointing. Wouldn't you think a business would (should) post such information to their website? In spite of that disappointment, it was a fun day. Thanks for joining me, friends!
So I keep myself busy with all the crafty, sewy, knitty things, and even a Modge Podge project that I'll share soon.
In the meantime, another big diamond art project (38" X 26") arrived. It's "Beachside Gathering," a Thomas Kinkade design that I won't let myself start until I finish another diamond art painting. Diamond Art Club kits come highly recommended for their excellent quality (canvas, and precise square drills) by many diamond-painting friends. Working with such a kit will be a happy change for me!
I sure have many fun things to anticipate! Linda











No comments:
Post a Comment
I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!