Friday, October 18, 2024

Nothing But Quilting

This week my hands have been on only my transparency quilt. It has been walking foot quilted, free motion quilted, and ruler quilted.

This is a Jacqui Gering walking foot quilting pattern called "Waving Diamonds" that I quilted in the top background of the quilt. It's meant to be entirely walking foot quilted, but I free motion quilted the curves. 

This ia an Angela Walters quilting pattern called "Jumbled Lines" that I ruler quilted as background in the bottom section using the "Garden Lines" ruler by White Arbor Quilting (won in a giveaway).  

Only three ovals in the top section remain to be quilted. I know exactly what I want quilt and am hoping to finish yet today.  

After blocking, I'll add facing. I anticipate finishing it Sunday. 

Not much sewing time on Saturday as I'll again be helping 9 to12 year-old 4-H kids with quilts they're making for "Showcase of Quilts" (Quilting Guild of The Villages) in January. 

Book Recommendation
The Third to Die
 is the first book in the Quinn and Costa series by Alison Brennan.

Kara Quinn is on leave from the Los Angeles Police Department where she's an undercover detective. She's gone to visit her grandmother M, in Liberty Lake, Washington, a small resort community outside Seattle. 

FBI Agent Matt Costa leads a new team of Mobile Response Team agents. They're in Liberty Lake because Kara was the person who found a body in the lake. Now it seems that this murder fits the pattern of a serial killer who has focuses on the number three, choosing the same dates, three years apart, to kill his victims. Working with an FBI criminal profiler, it's now up to the FBI with the help of local enforcement officials to race against the deadline of The Triple Killer's next date to find and prevent him from killing one of their own.

Though this story topic seemed a little raw, Ms. Brennan tells it in a captivating way. I found myself unable to stop listening (into the wee hours one morning!) to learn how it all played out. I'll definitely be reading book two: Tell No Lies.

Linda's score: 4.3/5.0

I learned something new this week. Florida's state butterfly is the the zebra longwing, and this is what it looks like. I tried to capture a good iPhone photo as it flitted in our fire bush, but it's definitely a flighty little thing, and was difficult to catch being still. It's certainly uniquely colored and patterned!






Jacksonville Modern Quilt Guild had an outdoor show last weekend. Pictures were posted to Instagram, and when I saw this one I did a double-take. That's my "Florida Quilt" pattern behind the little girl!

Central Florida Modern Quilt Guild is hosting a virtual improvisation workshop led by Krista Hennebury @poppyprint of Canada. We still have openings in the workshop - Speed Date With Improv - so if you or anyone you know is interested in joining us for the day, Saturday, November 2, we'd love to have you. I'll be there!

Go here to learn more. Linda

5 comments:

  1. I love all the designs you're combining in the quilt. Our guild speaker last night was Julia Quiltoff- delightful and full of knowledge. She discussed combining motifs effectively, which you do so well. We are still in the midst of the move, so it's rather consuming for the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your quilting designs are so pretty. I especially like the curved ones. I look forward to seeing how it all looks together. I didn't know about the butterfly. So wonderful that you were able to see it and capture it in photographs for us to see. That is great that you were able to find people making the quilts that you designed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda I think you need to have your pattern at Sew Together. They have a Florida pattern that isn’t as nice as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela Dempsey in Northeast Texas 😻October 19, 2024 at 7:38 AM

    I’m so glad you didn’t have any worse damage from that storm! Both storms back to back and the devastation 😣. I really like your Florida pattern. The butterfly is beautiful yet small, I don’t think I have seen one before. I’m still collecting my selvages and light colors for my bibliography quilt 😻

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin