Monday, September 9, 2024

100 Days, Finished

Quilt Your Life

Quilt Your Life is what I began June 1 as my 100 day challenge. Sunday, September 8 was the 100th day.

I started making 5½" X 5½" (unfinished) blocks, representing 10 different activities in which I regularly engage. They involve Faith, Friendship, Fitness, and Fun. This blog post gives the details, including the significance of each block. 

On Sunday I spent a couple hours making the last blocks, and clearing off my design wall (I took a virtual workshop on Saturday, and used the design wall for improv blocks) so I could fill it with the 151 blocks I made in 100 days. 
151 blocks made during 100-day challenge

Line dancing was the activity I engaged in most (31 times) followed by listening to audiobooks (26) and four-mile power walks (18 times). 

Now what?!

I don't know where to begin to put these together. 

As I sit here writing this post, I keep turning in my chair to look at the design wall. I'm totally stumped. 

It will take time and thoughtful intention to turn these into a cohesive design. And honestly, I thought I'd finish with at least 200 blocks. Several things transpired to change that:
  1. we went on four away-from-home trips, totaling 16 days away from routine activities
  2. weekly ukulele club didn't meet in July, and
  3. weekly Bible study didn't meet in August
Still, I think I can add into this design some shapes and colors that represent those 16 days away - whether that's a block or insert that represents each day, or one representation for each trip.

It all depends on how in the world I figure out putting these all together! 

By the way, these are the three improv blocks I made Saturday during a four-hour Zoom workshop with Cindy Grisdella - "Fabulous Freehand Curves." I wanted to learn how to make those Confetti Dots (upper right). I sure did! And learned they're the most labor-intensive of all the improv techniques she taught. Still... I have a mental picture of a quilt made with lots of arcs of confetti dots. 

The "Fabulous Freehand Curves" workshop was offered through Central Florida MQG, and was the follow-up/next steps to the in-person "Fearless Curved Piecing" workshop I took with Cindy in December 2023. My plan is to make more blocks similar to those above, and somehow combine blocks from both workshops.

Because you know... I like the headache of figuring out how to make blocks look like they belong together. 

Linda

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 100 day challenge! Your life is "vibrant" with colors and activities! Your design wall reminds me of a memory matching game of flipping cards that I played when I was a kid. I can't wait to see how you will put these blocks together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your Quilt Your Life challenge blocks are wonderful--and good for you for keeping up with the challenge! I'm sure you will find a creative way to piece them all together. Also your curved blocks are really cool. I'm sure that will also become a stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness- has it been 100 days already? The blocks are colorful and fun. And a complete puzzle for putting together. But the process will be a good challenge. The curved blocks are wonderful. I can see those confetti dots would be time consuming with maybe a lot of trimmed bits. But very effective. Zoom- isn't it one of the really good things that came from our homebound era? No machine to pack, all supplies at hand, no commute. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your 100 Day project. I like the idea of coming up with an additional block design that represents 'time away'. Some of that travel time, you did hand-sewing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such an interesting spin off of the temperature quilt idea, Linda! 151 blocks is amazing, along with all the other activities you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to add blocks representing time away from the regular activities. I would be stymied too at the thought of figuring out how to combine them. That's not my strength. Perhaps a row quilt with color focus and elements that weave the rows together. Row quilts don't have to be even and symmetrical.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin