Friday, July 26, 2024

Summer Days

It's been a week since I posted because I haven't felt very productive lately. Blame it on lazy summer days,

I completed big stitch hand quilting and binding on a second wedge for the modern potholder quilt, we're calling Pot Luck. It has been in the hands of 16 modern quilters, and I'm adding wedge shapes on four sides to make the whole thing tilt, and give it more interest. 

The latest wedge I added is on the bottom, so now that top and bottom have wedges. I will sandwich the two sides, big stitch hand quilt them, and bind one side to add to the quilt center. When all four sides are attached, I will bind the entire perimeter. Just not sure yet whether that binding fabric will be Aruba (blue) like the wedges, or the gray-white stripe. 

In assembly line style, I'm piecing the last six blocks of 30 blocks for the Bibliography quilt (an Amy Friend design) made mostly from selvedges. As you can see, I will have lots of selvedges left over. (sigh)

Lastly, my go-to handwork continues to be my #30DaysofImprovQAL quilt from 2023! I thought I would be done with it by now, but I find myself big stitch hand quilting more densely than I anticipated (no machine quilting). Besides straight line and curved quilting, I'm adding decorative stitches like X-stitches, herringbone, and fly stitches. With August 1 coming very soon - typically when #30DaysofImprov QAL begins - I wonder if Shannon Fraser @shannonfraserdesigns will be repeating this activity. 




Central Florida MQG has two group charity quilt efforts going on that were introduced in the past month. Coincidentally, they're both using a theme of lines and bars in a "Dreamlines" (à la Brenda Gael Smith), and are in very similar color palettes! One group quilt was spontaneously planned by several members, and the other group quilt is for QuiltCon's Community Outreach Challenge. 

These two strips on the right are those I made for the "spontaneously-planned-by-several members" group quilt. We were to use two colors from their palette, and add a "dash" of Oyster (Painter's Palette). 

Gosh, I love me some curves!



At last Saturday's Central Florida MQG meeting, during Show and Tell I share my finished 66½" X 72" Large Scale Minimal Improv quilt, begun in a QuiltCon workshop in late February. It's name is Infrastructure thanks to a suggestion by my friend, Amy Friend @duringquiettime, who has a real knack for giving a quilt a one-word name. 

The quilt is labeled too! I use EQ Printables to make labels. And yes, the quilt is bound following my "No Tails Binding: Mitered Corners by Machine" blog tutorial here, that one Anonymous commenter recently wrote unkindly about. 

On Saturday I'm teaching a small group of Central Florida MQG friends how to make Kawandi. My samples, demo piece, and notions are all set to go.

Book Recommendation
My latest audiobook finish is The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Hamel. It's yet another novel that mostly takes place in WWII France. The story begins with octogenarian Eva Traube Abrams, a librarian living in Florida. A newspaper article about books found and confiscated during WWII that are now in Berlin, makes Eva rush to Germany. As she does, she remembers what took place in Paris and Aurignon when she was in her twenties.  

Back then, Eva and her Jewish parents were living in a Paris apartment when French soldiers took her father. In spite of forged papers to obtain his release, Eva learns he's already been taken to Auschwitz. Eva and her mother then use forged papers to flee to the Free Zone of France. Intending to create forgeries that will get them to Switzerland, Eva is pressed into staying to help the underground by utilizing her remarkable forging skills. Eva remains, putting in long hours to create documents to save innocent people, mostly children. All the while Eva's mother, Mamusha, frequently reminds Eva that she's being selfish and uncaring about her family. 

This was a good story, and I had warm feelings toward Eva who faced her fears in order to help others. But Mamushka... I didn't like her. She had no compassion, and her attitude made me want to slap her. I had a difficulties believing a mother would make such self-centered demands of a daughter.  

Linda's score: 4.0/5.0

Driving my golf cart home from line dancing Thursday afternoon, I found myself following this golf cart. It never ceases to surprise me what you'll see on a golf cart around town... groceries, a dog, a ladder, a person dressed as a clown, and even an airplane!
 
Linda

9 comments:

  1. Nice to see you working on selvedges. I've still got a smallish bag waiting to be dealt with sometime...... Do you remember the wonderful selvedge blog which was around some years ago? I'm not sure if it still active now, but it had wonderful ideas to use up those selvedges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Pot Luck" is looking SO SO good! I love that you are doing so much hand-quilting - on so many projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love all the hand quilting you are doing. I adds so much. Looks like you figured out the wedge dilemma for Pot Luck. I think I like the idea of a blue binding so the center really floats. It would give the wedges an expansive feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela Dempsey in Northeast Texas 😻July 27, 2024 at 8:37 AM

    You have been busy! Potholder almost finished and the green and purple quilt is so pretty! Love the Infrastructure but my favorite is the Bibliography 😻. If you don’t want your remaining selvages I would love to buy them ! 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think I've been busy? It sure hasn't felt so. In fact, I feel like I'm line dancing more than sewing! I AM very anxious to finish "Pot Luck," and have now prepped the last two wedges for hand quilting. The green/purple quilt seems to be perpetually in progress. Happily, I pieced the selvedges "Bibliography" quilt top, so it's awaiting quilting. As for my bag of selvedges, I think I'll hang on to them. They have sort of sentimental value because it's made me reminisce to see those from the 1990s. Also, I have in mind to eventually recover my sewing room chair seat and back with "fabric" made from selvedges. But thanks for your offer!

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes, I totally understand! A seat cover out of selvages would be very sentimental and look so 😎 cool. I have found a few in scraps I saved from others. 😻

      Delete
  5. Your improv quilt is wonderful. Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well! You've been busy as usual. I enjoyed the pictures of your various quilts. And (this is a comment on the previous post) travelling mid-week is certainly one of the perks of retirement :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda! I enjoyed your review! Although it sure seemed to me like a lot was getting done!?! Six projects you're working through! I'll be interested in seeing which binding you choose for your mod potholders quilt. Wow, the demando commenter!?! Funny photo at the end!!!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin