Wednesday, July 31, 2024

End of July

July saw another month of using more fabric than I brought in. I used 6.36 yards and brought in 1.11 yards for a net loss of 5.25 yards. A small amount perhaps, but still outgoing. H'ray! 

Two small pieces came to me, though I didn't ask for or purchase either one!

One fabric piece was a fat eighth red print from the local Sew Together quilt shop. I stopped in to get some Misty Fuse and received a "Christmas in July" gift. 

The other was this one-yard print of cocktail drinks (What in the world will I do with it?). It was a gift from Quilting Guild of The Villages for attending the July Ice Cream Social. 
July Fabrics Used

1 - July BOM blocks for the Seattle MQG's free BOM called Like Totally. I arranged all the blocks I've made thus far. You can see the holes that remain to be filled in the next five months. By the way, those darker pieces are actually purple; the color didn't photograph well. 

2 - Some not-very-pretty brown (ick) prints were used to make fabric bags, as required for quilts submitted to QuiltFest Jacksonville. That show, which is an amalgamation of several quilt guilds, for the first time will have a Modern Category! I'm entering my Maximalist quilt Feelin' Groovy, and a two-color improv quilt, Alternate Route. The show is September 19-21.

3 - The only fabric counted as "used" in my 61" X 73" Bibliography quilt top, is the French Blue Painter's Palette. I decided not to include selvedge strips as "fabric." But I sure love how this turned out! 

4 - For my 100 Days (self) Challenge Quilt Your Life, 31 days in July found me making another 46 blocks representing 10 different activities in which I regularly engage. Those are my four "F's": Faith (worship and bible study); Friendship (Central Florida MQG and Big Cypress Quilters); Fitness (line dancing, power walking, and exercise with weights); and Fun (playing my ukulele. listening to audiobooks, and blogging). I make a block every time I engage in one of those activities. 

I'm 61 days into this 100-day commitment (last day is September 8), and have made 96 blocks that are 5½" square, unfinished. In no particular arrangement... 

Book Recommedation
My last audiobook listen in July was Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy. If you've read any Anne of Green Gables books, you'll understand that this is a prequel to Anne's story - about Marilla, and how she and her brother spend their entire lives at Green Gables on Prince Edward Island.

It's the mid 1850's. Marilla is a no-nonsense girl, dutifully engaging in chores and appreciating the beauty of life on the Cuthbert family farm in Avonlea. Marilla's mother is expecting a baby; Marilla's Aunt Lizzie comes to help before the baby's birth. 

Marilla's quiet life means being close to her brother Matthew; regularly attending the Presbyterian church; and occasionally participating in social activities such as the Sewing Circle where she meets her new best friend, Rachel. Marilla wants to complete her schooling and pass exams, but she has missed school due to helping her mother. John Blythe befriends Marilla, their friendship deepens, and he takes her to the spring picnic. Later he tutors her so she can pass school exams. 

This was a sweet story about a beautiful place. The only thing that made it less than a happy read was the narrator. I groaned when I started listening, because I knew immediately who I was hearing - Cassandra Campbell. Perhaps because I've listened to her through many books (apparently she's a top narrator and has more than 900 titles to her credit) I'm tired of her voice. I also think she's not good at giving a distinct personality to each character; rather, she gives every voice the same inflections and emphases.

Linda's score: 4.1/5.0

Of the eight audiobooks I listened to in July, I gave five of them a score of 4.0 or better.
  1. Julie, Catherine Marshall, 4.4
  2. Nothing Else But Miracles, Kate Albus, 4.3
  3. Marilla of Green Gables, Sarah McCoy, 4.1
  4. The Clinic, Cate Quinn, 4.0
  5. The Book of Lost Names,  Kristin Harmel, 4.0
Here's Central Florida MQG's small group of Kawandi makers from last Saturday's workshop.

Though we stitched for three hours, we didn't accomplish a lot, though that's just the nature of Kawandi. To make Kawandi, you begin along the outside perimeter of whatever size piece you choose to make. Scrap fabrics and big stitch hand quilting are added as you work toward the center. Thus, it's the first round that always takes the longest to accomplish.

Still, we had a great time talking about different fabrics, threads, what can be done with finished Kawandi pieces, and a few other things. 😁 On my "someday" list is making a lap or twin-sized Kawandi. Linda

6 comments:

  1. Good for you using your fabric. I'm afraid I added this past month with little used. My stash is getting to be ridiculous. I'm just finishing up Nothing Else But Miracles and enjoying the book. Have another of your recommendations on hold at the library. Good luck with your quilt entries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the selvedge quilt. And good reminder about the Like Totally BOM - I need to get caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do like the selvedge strip quilt. The blue background colour and the scale of the pattern contrasts so well with the narrow strips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your 'selvedge' quilt is striking. And I'm curious... in your 'quilt your life' blocks, the blocks you are using to represent your activities are all quite unique, how did you pick? And (you may have already said this) but do the colours correspond to the activity?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to sell to deplete your stash I would gladly buy the one yard of the cocktail fabric if you can’t find use for it.
    Donna P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if you could cut that drinks fabric up, and using the letters, make nametags or make other words. Just a thought.. Like Totally is looking very cool! As is your 100 day quilt, and your selvage quilt, Linda!!! Fun quilt photos and stories!!!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin