Thursday, May 2, 2024

Three Day Retreat Plans

Whenever I'm going on retreat, I assess which WIPs are candidates for taking along. Over the years I've learned that it's best not to machine quilt while on retreat because there's never enough even surface space to support a quilt. I've discovered - to my dismay - that quilts I've quilted while on retreat finish distorted or wonky. My home set-up is ideal for domestic machine quilting (large tables to support a large quilt) so it's best not to mess with a good thing.

And not wanting to haul piles of stash on retreat to cut out projects, I've been cutting and cutting so I can simply sit and sew during most of retreat. 

Always on the look-out for a good scrap quilt - so I can "scarp my scraps" 😀 (lookin' at you, Char!) - I opened my copy of the book Quilt Lovely by Jen Kingwell, and quickly chose the design "Bonnie Lass." Entirely from my scrap bins, I cut 400 low volume neutrals, and 400 prints in all colors. I should end up with a 59" X 67" quilt.

Also, as luck would have it, Tara Faughnan (Did you know she'll be the keynote speaker at QuiltCon 2025 in Phoenix?) released a new pattern for a quilt I have admired for several years.

"Sunny" is foundation paper pieced. Honestly, when I first saw it, I liked it so much I attempted to duplicate it in EQ8. Well that was a futile attempt! Happily for me, the pattern was released last Thursday - on sale too! - and I snatched it up. 

It's felt very rewarding to dig into my almost-empty large bin of solid fat quarters, some remaining from 2022 when I won all 100 colors of Benartex Superior Solids, to cut pieces. I'm also using-up leftover chunks (bigger than scraps) of other brands of solids. I feel so frugal! 😉

I sewed these blocks during Central Florida MQG's Saturday Sew-In, and I sure like them.

I'll be taking along parts to make 34 "Sunny" blocks.

Since I'm participating in Jeni Baker's (In Color Order) Quilt Along to make a "Plus Quilt" I cut blocks to piece. I'm not following Jeni's table of block size options, but have cut all my pieces 5" X 5". I should end up with a 40½ " X 54" quilt -a nice size for a child. 

After three full days of retreat sewing (I tend to burn the midnight oil) I hope to come home with two completed quilt tops: "Bonnie Lass" and "Plus Quilt"; and make a good start on "Sunny."

As quilters do, everything for sewing time is prepped and packed - including cleaning and oiling, and putting a new needle in my Bernina 440. Now it's time to pack clothes and personal items! Ha! Don't admonish me! Priorities, right? I know you get retreat-ready the same way I do.  Linda

19 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful and productive retreat Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you had a wonderful time at the retreat. It's good to be so prepared, so that you can just sit and sew. And chat, eat lovely food, chat some more, check on everyone else's projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful time. I know you will accomplish much and will look forward to hearing about it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie Lass is a terrific choice for your retreat, one I have marked aqnd goodness knows I have enough scraps!!! Have fun on retreat, I'm looking forward to see your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great sewy time, when I go on retreat half the car is packed with sewing and then a small bag with clothes etc too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, same priorities! Clothes are an afterthought! Really like that Sunny block, will look forward to watching it grow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A couple of parallels in your post Linda. Although I never go on retreat, I have made a Bonnie Lass scrap quilt. And I'm working on an older Tara Faughnan pattern. I was seriously tempted by this one too, but resisted this time! Have a wonderful time and I hope you get lots done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pamela Dempsey in Northeast Texas 😻May 3, 2024 at 6:56 AM

    Oh the excitement! Retreat time 🥰 ! Looking forward to seeing your progress. Your plus quilt will be so pretty with the chosen fabric. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got that right! Excitement! I hope I have lots to share when I return. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. great retreat projects! I'm tempted by that sunny pattern myself. It looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see what progress you make at retreat. The scrappy quilt fun, and I love the foundation pieced one in solids as well. Have a great time- I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yes, projects come first! Hope you have a fun and productive time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like your are well prepared for sure! I've always thought the 'bonnie lass' quilt would be an excellent way to use those precious scraps up, look forward to seeing yours sometime in the near future. (I'm keen to use colour as background, just can never decide on which colour LOL) And, loving your Tara blocks, they look very striking/exciting all in solids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha, great minds! Not only have I been eyeing Bonnie Lass but I will be participating in Jen’s Plus quilt sew along as well. I hope you have a wonderful time at the retreat and you get lots of sewing done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! It's definitely worth getting projects pre-cut and organised before going on retreat. It's great sewing with friends but there's far less space to make a mess than in the privacy of our own sewing rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I prepare for retreats the same way. It takes me a week to pare down my retreat projects for a 4 day retreat and only an hour to pack personal clothing and toiletries. 😆 And my sewing room needs to be tidied up after I get back. 🙄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! You're so right about everything. Days spent in the sewing room, preparing projects and gathering all the tools, an hour spent packing personal stuff, and then a lovely tidy-up upon returning home. I've just done the latter and am ready to dig in and finish the unfinished from retreat!

      Delete
  16. I know you will have a marvelous time. Will look forward to seeing what you accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see here that your Plus blocks start out at 5"--I'm behind on blog reading! But 5" is the perfect size to work with, as far as my scrap collection goes!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin