Sunday, April 14, 2024

Floating Pyramid Quilt Finish

It isn't often anymore that I have a reason to make a baby quilt, unless it's for charity, like Children's Home Society of Florida. So when my good friend in Central Florida MQG, Courtney (I rode home from QuiltCon with her in 2023 and 2024) told me last fall that she was expecting their first baby in May, I knew I'd be making a a quilt. 

In March I made Floating Pyramid, a pattern in the book "Modern Baby." 

It was the perfect design to use solids scarps scraps, and my neutral print stash. 

Each triangle shape in the pyramid is cut from made fabric - scraps sewn together and then cut into a triangle shape. While the book provides a triangle template, my Hex 'n more Ruler work well with a strip of blue tape to mark one triangle side. 

Also, the pattern called for specific yardage of four prints for background triangles. But it worked much better for me to cut a wide variety of low volume prints - including a baby print, and floral designs.

My limited stash forced me to come up with a creatively-pieced backing.

From a koala print, purchased in Australia when my grandsons were toddlers, I cut a single triangle, slightly smaller than the one on the quilt front. Then I pieced other prints around it. Across the top is a piece of Project Linus fabric that says "Security is a thumb and a blanket." 

Batting is Quilter's Dream 100% cotton, Select loft. 

From the start, I had a simple quilting plan: spiral quilting starting in the center of the pyramid to fill the pyramid. 

Then, around the pyramid I quilted an old, familiar, unbroken quilting design: a snail trail. 

I bound the quilt with scraps of low volume prints.

I have quilted this snail trail design on dozens of baby quilts. This is the quilting viewed from the back. 



I created a label using MacBook Pages, and printed it on EQ Printables. The graphic I'm sharing here has been edited to remove personal information. 
Anne, a Central Florida MQG member, was my quilt-holder for these pictures which were taken in Oxford near where our chapter meets for workshops and sew-ins. 

Floating Pyramid finished at 48½" X 54½". 

I wrapped the quilt and gifted it to Courtney at the conclusion of Saturday's Central Florida MQG meeting. Courtney and her husband are expecting their baby girl's arrival in May. I hope they get lots of use from this quilt. Linda

12 comments:

  1. Gosh - that is really pretty!! What a great way to use those amazing bold colors!! She will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect gift for the new baby. I'm glad to see that you've made it a larger size that she can love for several years before she wears it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt, it is perfect and I sure that baby girl is going to cherish her beautiful cozy quilt. An amazing gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt Linda! The perfect size to grow into! I like how the front is reflected in the backing. Definitely a “2 for 1” quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful gift for a new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous gift. I've decided that I prefer a pieced backing (or "after quilt" as Karen Brown calls it) to a solid one... so much more interesting. I continue to be amazed by the quilting designs that you achieve without a longarm. I've been working on a triangle quilt myself and I used this tri tool template to cut out all of the 6.5" pieces. https://www.amazon.com/Wrights-1-6-Inch-Tri-Recs-Tools/dp/B000AXVP4M/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1AQ9ZN1HR6N1R&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ya3_EW6YAvZsjrTcynPS_k71OEU3MLIokxcxNFXSNAb9lzFse0LFbkrczisemkVhgY_dHylntgzF1GS5Qjqd-N1Sk4Gsul0lMqQYa6PzdQUsIxP8pg4v-uVSQfOU0nrgIaxb2kKdlsagjo0kiucdcb9mlT5e_xUy7lkWL67lnR9a2eq35oL3vtB9Fs17S_gF8d0X8dcc0mSVyOaQMJxN9p_D62gPpCoR0m3xXNhD0RGV1DyaZolNllLdJPVnBlueNmi33t2TV8ywXyYei1gZyvydamkjHbT-3RRZrCVSpo0.7tptNkdAMPYVVaE9SPK_p7l9Cz1bUgrc6NpXFWOdeZA&dib_tag=se&keywords=tri+tool+ruler&qid=1713184288&sprefix=tri+tool+ruler%2Caps%2C88&sr=8-2
    It turned out to be a big mistake. I've done several similar triangle quilt patterns but I can't seem to get them to line up properly with that silly notch out of the top. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, this is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for saying so, Marty! I appreciate your compliment.

      Delete
  8. What a kind and thoughtful gift. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice colorful baby quilt. Sure hope the new parents and baby put it to good use. I'm working on a baby quilt of little forrest animals right now for our second grandson expected this summer. It's fun to work on smaller quilts and different for me fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin