Tuesday, October 3, 2023

T-Shirt, Decorative Stitching, and a QAL

On the last Tuesday of each month, my weekly quilting group offers an "I don't want it; you can have it" table of freebies. I usually take a look, but often don't bring home anything. Last week though, I found this dusty blue t-shirt knit. On Sunday I pulled out my serger and made a short-sleeved top. It was very plain. A quick look through Pinterest, and I was inspired to add hand-stitching with perle cotton. I can't believe I had this ball of size 8 among my threads! It might have been given to me.

In any case, it didn't take long to stitch around the neckline. I wore this Tuesday to the same quilting group, and was happy to point out to the fabric-owner what I'd done with what she offered. 

With two more quilts remaining in my pile of tops that need quilting, and at least three WIPs going - I was English paper piecing at quilting today - I don't need to begin another project.... but I did anyway. 

My friend, Amy Friend @duringquiettime in Maine is a wonderful designer of foundation paper pieced quilts. She designed, created templates, and wrote instructions for a 12-block sampler quilt called Satisfaction, and offered it as a quilt along that began October 1. 
Amy's 54" X 72" Satisfaction quilt

Not only did Amy's quilt appeal to me, but when I read that it could be made from stash, using fat quarters or less than half-yard pieces, I jumped on the chance to use up fabric!

Those of us who registered will make one 18" square block for the next 12 weeks, until December 18. 

Rather than print on foundation paper, I'm using one page of freezer paper than I can use and reuse four times, for each of the four quadrants of a block, Amy cautioned that the first block is the most challenging. It definitely has the most pieces, but I'm having fun making it! 

Fabrics in this block are an Alison Glass print (blue);  and that yellow/blue print is an old one by Emma Jean Jansen - I think. ?

Book Recommendations
The House is on Fire
 by Rachel Beanland, is an engrossing work of historical fiction. Based on newspapers and first-hand accounts, Beanland tells the story of a tragic evening in Richmond, Virginia, when our young country experienced its first large scale loss of lives.

On December 26, 1811, hundreds of Richmond's wealthy elites, and slaves attended the Richmond Theater for a performance of The Father. When a chandelier with lit candles, was raised from the stage to the "fly" (an overhead holding area for backdrops) an open flame ignited the backdrops. Soon a roaring blaze overtook the theater. Patrons tried to escape from the three-story building.

To tell this story, Beanland follows several days in the lives of four people: 1) Sally Henry Campbell, a widow who's the daughter of Patrick Henry; 2) Cecily, a young slave who has been badly-used by her owner's son; 3) Gilbert, a slave who's a blacksmith, and steps in to rescue people; and 4) Jack, the young stage hand who assumed blame for the catastrophe. 

The author makes this tragedy real while offering an understanding of the culture and times - women as second-class humans, and the denigration of slaves - and the aftereffects of the fire: 76 deaths.

After reading, be sure to also read Beanland's author's notes. She gives an overview of the facts of this tragedy, using many real people like Sally and Gilbert; and where she inserts and infers information that, though not factual, is entirely plausible. 

Linda's score: 4.3/5.0

September Reads






Of the nine books I listened to in September, I rated these five title highest, with a score of 4.0 or better. Reviews of each book, and others, are in September blog post.
Book Recommendation - This is the first book I listened to in October.

Recently, my 14 year-old grandson told me he doesn't like his eight-grade English class. When I asked why, I learned he didn't like the book they had to read and write about: The Pearl by John Steinbeck. Having never read the novella myself, I listened to the audiobook which is only a couple hours long. 

Kino, Juana, and their infant son, Coyotito, live in a community of poor, outcast pearl-divers. When Coyotito is bitten by a scorpion, and the doctor refuses to see him because Kino can offer only ugly gray pearls as payment, he and Juana get in their boat; Kino dives. When he finds "The Pearl of the World," their lives change. Those who had formerly shunned them, now want the pearl, or the money the pearl will bring to Kino and his family. 

When pearl dealers offer him a pittance for the value of the pearl, Kino decides he will travel to a large city to sell it. Before he can leave, his boat and their home are ruined. Now the family is on the move, but they're being tracked. Since all their problems began when they found the pearl, is it time to get rid of it? 

It's an interesting story about the perils of wealth, and the greed of men. Throw in a few words that aren't in our daily vocabulary, and you have a book that's enlightening, and good for discussion. 

Linda's score: 4.2/5.0

While at QuiltCon last February, I connected with a few friends to whom I gifted one of my homemade travel trays. Last week my friend in the South Florida MQG, Kane, sent me this picture of her travel tray in use in France! She was there for a wedding; they stayed in a castle bed and breakfast. 


Kane said her travel tray has also been to Peru, San Francisco, and Kansas. That tray sure gets around more than me! Linda

12 comments:

  1. Good to hear you will be taking on the "During Quiet Time" project! I am sure all blocks will come together well. I will follow your progress! I read the "House is on Fire" also back in July. I thought the audio was really good, except for Jack's voice- which did not work for me. All through the book, I was cheering for Cecily:) I feel the same as you when at Sip and Sew with Kane, she sure gets around more than me :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The QAL blocks look like a lot of fun! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on changing the blue tee shirt to suit you. A friend gave me a pretty broderie anglaise blouse a while ago which had 3/4 sleeves. I dont care for that sleeve length so chopped them off to short sleeve lenght, much better. It often doesn't take too much to alter something to suit yourself better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors you chose for the first block. I’ve decided to use my giant collection of Denyse Schmidt fabric for this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Satisfaction looks a neat new block design, have fun! Looking forward to seeing your blocks come up in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you did to your top. The added stitching makes it special and unique. Do you need to be extra careful not to stretch the neck too much?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that Satisfaction quilt is stunning! I'll be interested in seeing your version, Linda!!! Your trays sure get around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really glad to see your list of audible books. I've been needing a good list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! I'm happy you found my audible book reviews. Not ALL of the books I write about are recommendations, but perhaps my reviews and scores will give you guidance. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  9. Love the new quilt you started. Amy's design is really lovely. Enjoy sewing through more stash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice that you could connect with your grandson over a book. Sounds like he might be a reader like his Nana. The quilt along looks fun. I know you will make something great from it. I also like the top, and I think the stitching around the neck makes it look very finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although I won't be doing it, I'm happy to hear of a QAL that uses stash :D

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin