Thursday, January 26, 2023

14th Anniversary!

Today, Thursday, January 26, 2023 marks the day, 14 years ago, that I wrote my first blog post. Little did I know that writing these would be a seemingly lifelong commitment. 

This is my 1,203rd published blog post! I guess I never run out of things to say!

While there have been times when I haven't posted for as long as a week, most of my posts are at five to eight day intervals. There's no rhyme or reason to that, but I'm glad I have posted often because my blog has become a useful chronicle of things I've made, and products and brands I've used.

When I began blogging, I posted much more frequently because, in those days - before Facebook and Instagram - it was the only way to connect with like-minded people. 

At one time, I followed more than 80 bloggers, commenting on all their posts. 

I still follow 80 bloggers, and I still comment, but about half of those bloggers haven't blogged for months, and even years.

Times change. 

Moving right along, I've got a few things to share. 

We had company from Minnesota for four nights last weekend. Being dear friends, I couldn't let them leave without offering them some quilts to take home and use! They live in Minnesota, after all. These are the four quilts they chose from the nine I offered. I'm posting them here, mostly to document that I gave them away. 
Comfort Quilt, 72" X 95"

This Disappearing Four-Patch is an oldie! I posted its finish in August 2011.
Disappearing 4-Patch, 57" X 65"

Buckles and Belts, 40" X 50"

It's All About Color, 31" X 31"

Quilting has consisted of taking my long-term Prudence English paper piecing with me to Big Cypress Quilters to work on. I'm joining row five of 13 rows.

Free motion quilting has started on my Finger Paint quilt, a top I finished in October 2021 during Laura Loewe's @quiltfortco quilt along. 

Thus far, I've been ruler quilting with this curved Fine Line ruler by Accents in Design. The tape you see through the bottom is skateboard tape. I add pieces of it to the back of all my rulers, to help grip the fabric. EDITED TO ADD: Here's the link to the 11" X 50" Clear Skateboard Grip Tape Sheet that a friend and I bought and split. 

Also, I've begun making a dozen more travel trays that I plan to give as gifts to special friends. I get such a kick out of picking colorful prints for the exterior of each one. 

If you want instructions to make your own travel tray, here's the link to my free pattern.

Book Recommendations
Just the Nicest Couple
is Mary Kubica's latest (January 2023) who-dunit. 

Nina and Lily are co-workers and close friends at a Chicagoland high school. Nina and her husband Jake, have a quarrel about Nina spending too much time with her mother. When Jake doesn't return home, Nina is sure he's going through his his threat to leave. In the meantime, Lily and her husband, Christian, have just discovered that Lily's pregnant again, after several miscarriages. Just as they're becoming hopeful, Lily reveals that she had an unwanted encounter with Jake, and that maybe she's the reason Jake hasn't returned home. 

While I found this book a little slow-paced - one of those where you're in the character's head and they keep rehashing all the what-if's - the plot has enough twists that you might not be able to figure it out. I'd call it entertaining. 

Linda's score: 3.8/5.0

My Oxford Year
 by Julia Whelan is narrated by the author herself, and she's an excellent actress! I am impressed at her ability to switch from female and male character voices, and from British to Scottish accents. She's talented!

Ella Durran is a 24 year-old Ohio girl whose dream has been to attend Oxford University in England. She's finally achieved that by becoming a Rhodes Scholar intent on studying old English literature. While she's charmed by the community, the university, and new British friends, she also can't escape the charm of Jamie, her literature instructor who is more than handsome and elegant. They begin a relationship based on a mutual desire for honesty, but when Ella learns that Jamie isn't where he said he'd be, and a friend tells her that Jamie's brother Oliver isn't alive (as Jamie said he was), she becomes angry. Her plans - to return to the US to take a high profile position for the woman who's expected to be elected president - are her way out of this relationship. But is that the best option for her future?

Linda's score: 3.7/5.0

In addition to today's blog anniversary, I'm also rolling into the tenth anniversary of my breast cancer diagnosis in February 2013. I always remember what an unlucky year - healthwise - 2013 was for me. This past Tuesday I had my first Senobright mammogram - one where you get an IV and after being flushed with saline, iodine is injected. Then you have a typical slam-o-mamm. I was delighted that the same radiologist who performed my 2013 biopsy was the same radiologist who read my "all clear" mammogram on Tuesday. Praise God for such results!

Today I'm dropping off three quilts at Seabreeze Rec Center for the Quilting Guild of The Villages "Showcase of Quilts" that's Friday and Saturday. I'll be back at Seabreeze at 8:30 AM Friday to finally learn what ribbons my quilts received. 

Party Times 30, 24" X 24"
Happily, I've also already sold one of the quilts! My 24" X 24" Party Times 30 challenge quilt will be shown at the AQS show in Daytona Beach (Florida), February 22-25, and then it will go home with its new owner.

I couldn't be more tickled! 

Linda

12 comments:

  1. First, congrats on your blogaversary and the sale of your quilt! Not to mention the all-clear on the latest mammo. I'm interested and curious about the skateboard tape you're using on your rulers, is it the Mr Pen clear tape as shown on amazon or another brand? I've had the little round pieces sold for ruler gripping but their small size makes for a tippy ruler when I'm cutting, maybe because they are too thick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the question about brand of skateboard tape. The kind I have doesn't stay stuck to the rulers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lots of blogs and all fun to read. And those lucky friends who got to pick some quilts. So glad your Mammo came back clear. That is always a blessing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Blogoversary and great news about the clear mammogram. Love your travel trays - what a fun idea and those fabrics you've chosen are so bright and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your blogaversary! I’m so glad I found you☺️. One of my sewing buddies gave me some skateboard tape and it sticks very well. I guess she read about it somewhere and ordered some. It has the tantalizing name “ black widow “ 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary to your 14th year of blogging! I'm one of those bloggers who goes a long spell without posting, but eventually get back to it. Not many even notice. I've always enjoyed your posts...keep it going and enjoy the "winter"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you sticking with your blog. It's an impressive feat these days as things have changed over to IG. Congrats. I enjoy reading both blogs and IG posts. Your friends hit the Linda jackpot scoring 4 quilts from you. I'm sure they'll be well used in Minnesota. We sure make good use of mine during our cold winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your blog anniversary - and for the reminder that I have one coming up too! And it's really great you found new homes for several of your quilts. I bet that feels good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your blog anniversary Linda! What an achievement! And your mammogram results deserve celebrating too! And the sale of your quilt makes it three from three!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the link to your instructions for the tray, definitely something I shall be trying. I hear you the bloggers disappearing, very sad, I have had the same problem and from what I read this is happening to lots of us and yes, I think Instagram and Facebook have been the draw cards for these bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nice to see the quilts that you gave away (hooray!) and since you make blog books you'll have a record :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two anniversaries to give thanks for - not the actual cancer of course but the successful treatment and on-going all clear. And writing a blog for 14 years! Your posts are always a good read with so many helpful tips and lots of inspiration. I'm very glad I found you in the patchwork-quilting blogosphere :-)

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin