Friday, August 26, 2022

50 Years

Fifty years ago today, on a Saturday at 2 pm, we were wed at Trinity Lutheran Church in Mason City. Iowa.

Today we're remembering how we met - on August 28, 1971 in a Hy-Vee grocery store parking lot - and our whirlwind courtship, Three months later we were engaged!

Though I've completely lost touch with two of the bridesmaids (my sister was the third), we're enjoying reminiscing about where we've been and what we've shared - the places we've lived (especially being in Iowa for more than 30 years), two children we raised, our five dear grandchildren, and retirement in Florida.

How about that ball of flowers?! And check out the ruffle on the cuff of his shirt. Weren't those the days? My talented mother made my wedding gown and veil. 

In the Sewing Room
With my Kantha quilt finished (see my last blog post) I almost feel like I have oodles of time on my hands!

Since giving a Kawandi-making demonstration (six times, as members rotated through a series of demo tables) at our August Central Florida MQG meeting, it's been nice to now return to work toward completing the Kawandi I started. This is another one I'm making with Grandma's vintage scraps.

Batting is a piece of Quilter's Dream Request, and thread is Aurifil color 2021, #12-weight. 

I've kept up with the #30daysofimprov being led by @shannonfraserdesigns and @broadclothstudio. I think you can see which shapes I prefer by the quantity of each!

Stripes, Polygons, Triangles, and Curves
Making these was actually easy. But (uh-oh!) here comes the part where I most often botch it... putting everything together! Too often I end up with something that looks like mush rather than a cohesive layout. I still don't know how to do create a beautiful improv layout, so I'm not optimistic that these units will become a pretty quilt.

Speaking of mush... for those of you who may be interested, that's what my (92 year-old) Dad's been saying about his mind and thinking since having COVID - "brain mush" and "brain fog" aren't unusual with COVID, right? We all know someone who's gone through it. 

For six days Dad was hospitalized and given Remdesivir. Now he's been moved to a skilled nursing facility where he continues to get Remdesivir and an Albuterol inhaler for shortness of breath and coughing. His physical capabilities are also being assessed. He can be unbalanced, and we're fearful that he'll fall again. I'm praying he doesn't have to stay in the facility too long though. We've all glad to recently learn that the facility where he's been living independently has an opening in assisted living. When he's released he can move into an area where we can be assured he'll receive continual care. 

Randomly, I've continued to work on improv log cabin blocks with skinny insert strips. I made about 20 blocks in all-neutrals, with only one wee insert of the black and white print insertion. When I realized the stripe insertions made the blocks look like inch worms were crawling across them (go ahead, it's okay to tell me they look like inch worms)...

I consulted with my friend, Rosemary who suggested adding skinny inserts of solid colors. So that's what I'm doing... taking apart the blocks I've already pieced to add color. 

Book Recommendations

I read (listened to) The Golden Couple by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen at the suggestion of my friend, Karen. (She's the one to blame thank, for me writing these hundreds of book reviews!) Karen also knows my tastes!

As this is the second book I've read by this talented writing team (I also recommend You Are Not Alone), I've come to know that Hendricks-Pekkanen books are good.

Avery is a therapist who's lost her license, but now feels free to offer counseling according to her unique methods that include more than a little sleuthing and advice-giving. When married couple Marissa and Matthew Bishop visit for their first consultation, and Marissa admits to one night of infidelity, Matthew's anger is apparent. Yet Avery is sure she can help them restore trust for one another. As their ten-sessions of counseling continue, Avery comes to realize that neither of them are telling the truth. There's more going on. A little investigative work into Marissa's health club, her shop employee, and another mom at the Bishop's son's school, and the mysterious delivery of roses and messages raises questions about who is really interested in Marissa. 

Linda's score: 4.1/5.0

Karen also recommended a title by Sandie Jone, but I had to put my name on a waiting list for it. So I looked for another title by Sandie Jones, and checked out The Other Woman.

Emily thought she was in love with Tom, but when she found her best friend and Tom in a compromising position, she didn't think she'd find love again. Now she's met Adam. He might be the man of her dreams. However, he's reticent about his family, but as she presses him to meet them, he finally acquiesces. Emily meets his mother, Pammie, and his brother. First impressions are excellent, but then Pammie begins saying things to Emily at odds with how everyone else perceives Pammie. She's a "b*&^%!" says Emily. When Emily finds evidence that Pammie may have had something to do with the death of Adam's first love, and that Pammie is faking an illness to prevent the marriage of Adam and Emily, Emily wants to confront her. But she also fears for her life.

Linda's score: 4.1/5.0

I'm still very much enjoying the "Ruth Galloway" series of books by Elly Griffiths. Except for the first one, all of them have been E-books with The Outcast Dead even a little better than usual.

In this book number six in the series, Ruth is involved in the unearthing of a Victorian-era childminder's (we'd call her a nanny) bones that remind everyone of the tale of "Mother Hook," the child-minder with a hook for an arm, and a murderer of children in her care. When a television series comes to Norfolk to record an episode about Mother Hook, Ruth is filmed as the forensic archeologist expert. As this is happening, Norfolk erupts. There's a child abduction, and this abductor is called themselves a child minder. DCI Nelson and Ruth are involved because the child who's taken belongs to a co-work/friend.
Linda's score: 3.9/5.0

Linda

13 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! ANd I hope your Dad recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Linda! It's a long time when you think back over your life since then. We have been married coming up 52 years in November.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy golden anniversary! Do hope your Dad can recover well and get to a more comfortable living arrangement for him. Meanwhile, happy sewing and listening. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful achievement! Glad your dad is improving and hope that continues. Your blocks look great. I for one did not see worms at all. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love those white blocks with the skinny color or striped inserts! And this year is our 50th anniversary, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy golden anniversary! I do hope your dad recovers quickly. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary!!
    I liked the skinny stripes from the beginning but I love the skinny solids interspersed even more!!
    Your vintage kantha is lovely.
    Kane SFMQG

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about your Dad. I was home in Iowa for about 5 months taking care of my 95 yr. old Dad until he passed late January. Then there was the business of the house and stuff. It all took time. I hope your Dad finds a peace in his rehab and recovery. I know it's hard on the whole family. Keep the faith. Thanks for your blog. I follow you but don't comment very often. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary from me too! 50 yrs is a long time, special celebration indeed. It's ours next year! Hope your Dad is well on the way to recovery & transferring back soon. I'll be interested to see how you end up getting all your improv blocks together, I'm sure Shannon will have a few ideas that you could re interept?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Debbie B! I sure wish I could reply to you, but your Blogger profile has no information. I apologize that I am unable to thank you directly for your kind words. I'm very sorry for your experience with your dad's passing. Apparently you were his #! provider; I'm sure your burden was heavy. Thankfully, there are three of us, though I'm the one who lives furthest away. My younger sister has the authority to make arrangements, so I'll be bowing out of further attention unless I physically travel to KC to help. Thank you for your good wishes, and for following my blog. (Please set up your Google profile, or at least provide an email address so I can reply to you in the future.) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on 50 years together - a wonderful achievement. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many congratulations on your Golden 50th Anniversary. I'm sure there are so many wonderful memories for you both to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on arriving at your 50th!!! You must've been a child bride, as you look so young! I love that your mom made your dress and veil. 💗

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin