Monday, January 3, 2022

From 2021 to 2022

I haven't posted for a while because between December 26 and January 1, seven extra, very special people were at our house. Unaccustomed as we are to spending holidays with family, it was a bit of happy chaos to have them here from Kansas City, New York City, and Austin (TX). 

We rented a second golf cart, a four-seater, so everyone had a chance to enjoy our most popular form of transportation. 

Golf-carting was the only way to go when it came to geo-caching, which we did on several occasions. 

Our four grandsons love geo-caching!


With temps in the 80's every day, pool time was another good outdoor activity, along with shuffleboard and boccé ball.

Indoors, finding treasures in our bin of toys is a fun activity.

In particular, 58 empty yogurt containers, saved since 2012-2013 (yes, I ate every single one of them, and do so daily) are age-resistant entertainment. 

There were also games of UNO, Bingo (for dollar bills!), Rummikub, and puzzles. This is a 1000-piece one that I received in our Central Florida MQG Chinese gift swap.
"50 States Quilt Blocks" by Cobble Hill

In anticipation of the family's visit, my sewing room, which has been known to look like this... 

...had to be "torn down" to reconfigure into a bedroom with air mattresses. It's fun to choose quilts for each bed. On my design wall I pinned up a Christmas quilt embroidered and made by Jenny Renolds of Queensland Australia. I was the high bidder on it in 2011, in a fundraiser for Bush Fire Relief. It's a special quilt to me.

Even the guest room was reconfigured for another air mattress and quilt. 

The only social media thing I did while family was here was manually tally my most-like Instagram posts from 2021. Oddly, the #1 most-liked post, with more than 1100 likes, was an unfinished Kawand! I sure don't understand how that happens, especially when the same finished Kawandi received less than half as many likes, and placed third in the most-popular order. 

Otherwise, all three of my quilts that have been accepted into QuiltCon 2022, appear in my "Top Nine," with my QuiltCon reject (#4) and my Zing quilt (#9) also making appearances. This is always an interesting review. 

As much as I'd like to join the crowd of quiltmakers who have posted their 2022 quilt-y goals, I'm not participating. When it comes to quiltmaking, I've never been a goal-setter because I don't like the pressure I put on myself to achieve those stated goals. Failure isn't an option so I stress-out myself, trying to accomplish them. 

Rather, I enjoy the freedom of choosing to work on whatever I want.

Possible projects include basting and quilting the Finger Paints quilt top (left) I finished in November;




continuing this improv play (right) using solids and African waxed prints;




 
"Sea Glass" by Exhausted Octopus





making a Sea Glass quilt on the order of what Allie of ExhaustedOctopus makes;

starting a lap-sized Kawandi;

and braiding a rag rug for a Texas friend who, early last fall, sent me a large box of fabrics with which to braid a rug. 


I have several teaching and speaking gigs in the upcoming months (listed on the "Programs and Workshops" tab on my blog home page) that are always enjoyable for me, as well as QuiltCon 2022 in Phoenix coming up February 16!

So, to start in good order, once family left on New Year's Day, I've set my house to rights. Re-building my sewing room was a high priority. That's because on Sunday afternoon, for a couple hours, I attended Sherri Lynn Wood's free virtual workshop: Abstract Piecing Scrap Play

I pulled out the same fabrics I had used in an October 2015 in-person workshop with Sherri Lynn, when she taught in The Villages. I'm not any happier now with my results than I was then. This 15" X 18" piece isn't to my liking, but I plan to try again.

If you think improv is easy, I'm pretty certain you haven't tried it yourself. There's more than a knack required, and practice definitely plays a big part in being successful. In spite of taking workshops with a half-dozen (or more) improv instructors, I haven't mastered it. Perhaps I never will. But it's good to be challenged. 

By the way, I don't have a book review yet because I've got three days to finish listening to 156 chapters of Go Tell The Bees That I'm Gone by Diana Gabaldon. I'm on chapter 124. 

I hope, wherever you are, that you're having a lovely transition into 2022 with sewing and quiltmaking that's satisfying and fun. Linda

11 comments:

  1. Seems you family visit went very well indeed, with plenty of activities to keep the boys happy. Bet it was noisy though, with four youngsters competing for attention, and generally having fun. We spent four days with my daughter's family, two grown up young ladies, and they were noisy enough! Guess we are used to a quiet life these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see the family visit was everything you hoped it would be! It looks like everyone had loads of fun! How interesting that you are giving improv another go! You certainly DO like a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful family! So glad they could come and stay with you. Glad to see them all. I am thinking that maybe the post with the Kawandi quilt was popular because it actually shows you how to get started. Wishing you a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you. Looks like a great family visit. I don't make quilt goals either - or I just make goals that are like "have fun" so that I can do whatever I want. I like your improv piece. Maybe you should just turn it in a different direction to see it in a new light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun family time! Process photos always get the most likes for me too!! Wishing you a productive year of making whatever is enjoyable for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The guest room(s) look great all decked out in quilts! Glad to hear that you had a good visit. I'm loving Finger Paints and your new Improv Play, Linda! I have yardage of the yellow with gray and white flowers you used. Never thought to pair it with orange!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you all enjoyed a true holiday visit from the photos, excellent! I don't actually set definite goals for the coming year but I do have a list of projects I would like to make at some point, not necessarily in any order but just when I feel like I want to make a start.
    I do have Finger Paints on my list but whether I follow the pattern and go with solids is debatable. I do love your FP quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to learn you had such a wonderful holiday visit. I want to do a kawandi throw size quilt as a wedding gift. Am I crazy?? I understand in theory but am uncertain on how you choose fabrics. Suggestions appreciated😊
    Kane of SFMQG

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Linda! I'm still catching up on emails. Lovely to know you had such a great family Christmas. It must have been such a treat for you all to be together and have the opportunity to have fun outdoors too. Yoghurt pots - who'd have thought it! :-D
    Your signature colours certainly worked to give your guest rooms a peaceful co-ordinated look which must have been very welcoming.
    I haven't set myself quilting goals either but yesterday I did write down a list of the quilt designs and WIPs that are bumping around in my brain (and in my sewing room, spare room and EQ7!). Sometimes it's helpful to have a physical list so I can home in on just one or two projects without being too easily distracted!
    Looking forward to catching up with your emails as I work my way through my inbox! Allison

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post, with all the quilting and the family and geo-caching and fun. I'm glad they came to visit and spend time with you! I also enjoyed seeing your IG Nine and agree--their algorithm is a mystery to me, too. I'm looking forward to QuiltCon when I can see your quilts in person. :)

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin