Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Away and Back, Again

We're back home from another four day trip, and are settling back into a routine of "just us." 

Having seen an episode of Aerial America featuring Georgia  we decided to return Tay to a Montgomery, Alabama meet-up with his mother by way of Georgia's Providence Canyon State Park, also called the "little Grand Canyon." The site is a geological formation that started in the 1800s when farmers cleared and planted in this area without regard to soil management. Now, aided by rainfall, the area continues to erode at the rate of up to five feet a year. 

Different minerals in the canyon walls create a range of interesting colors. It was a nice change-of-pace to hike the trail to the bottom, squelch through the water trickling through the area, and check out several of the numerous canyons. 

While in Montgomery, we visited the Montgomery Museum of Fine Art. It's a beautiful facility on 175 acres of the Blount Cultural Park. I appreciated being able to see this portrait by John Singer Sergeant, one of 41 pieces (only this one was on display) in the museum's collection. 

After spending ten days as a threesome, saying good-bye to Tay wasn't easy. We enjoyed his visit very much! We miss him, and hope he made some good, long-lasting memories. 

Traveling by car is really challenging these days. Traffic is more congested than ever, with the Interstate being the last place we wanted be. Roadways are full of post-pandemic vacationers, and I'd estimate that 30 percent (or more) of vehicles are semi's. The odds of encountering an accident are higher than ever.

When driving to Kansas City earlier this month, we'd made reservations at a Paducah, Kentucky motel, and anticipated arriving in Paducah a half hour before Hancock's of Paducah closed. Yep, I thought I'd do a quick, 30-minute run-through of the quilt store! Twenty minutes from our exit, we came to a standstill on I-24. For more than an hour. Needless to say, shopping at Hancock's didn't happen. Motels are also full. Every one we stayed in was at capacity. I highly recommend booking ahead if you intend to travel. 

Getting away for a change of scenery and focus has proved restorative. My previously stalled sewing room activities have been reinvigorated. My enthusiasm for creating and making has been restored - a happy surprise!

Since being at home, I have:

1) gone as far as I can on my braided rag rug which is now 34" X 40". A thrift store visit is needed for more orange clothing or home dec items; 

2) begun to machine appliqué Applipop circles onto my Curve Around Challenge quilt. I'm using 100-weight Invisifil thread and my Bernina 20C appliqué foot to zig-zag stitch around circles; and,

3) cut, pieced, and basted a Quick Curve Ruler Mini Runner. In August, I'll be teaching a Quick Curve Ruler workshop to Kingsland (Georgia) Quilt Guild, and Jacksonville MQG. Students have the option of making this runner using the mini QCR, or Urban Abacus using the full-sized QCR. I've made my runner with Painter's Palette solids, and a Grunge background. Batting is Quilter's Dream Green (recycled), which gives the background a greenish hue.

I'm excited to quilt because... well, it's been ages since I've done any FMQ. I've missed it! 

Book Recommendation
The Nature of Fragile Things by Susan Meissner is about Sophie, a young Irish immigrant living in New York City who answers an advertisement to become and wife to Martin, and mother to five year-old Kat, who live in San Francisco. Sophie is settling into her new life in a nice home, feeling well-fed and wearing new clothes, and warming to Kat, when an unknown woman, Belinda, comes to her door to make inquiries about Sophie's husband. Sophie's realizes that her uneasy concerns about Martin have been justified, so she prepares to leave. Just then, San Francisco is rocked by earthquakes and the city is on fire. When Belinda goes into premature labor, they're forced to flee for help, and everyone's intentions change. 

In the face of the unknown, fear, and possible exposure to law enforcement, Sophie, Kat, and Belinda find strength in one another - a family united by love. 
Linda's score: 4.4/5.0

Having a manicure and/or pedicure are treats I normally don't indulge in, unless I have a special friend visiting, (Patty P., you know it's you!) and we go together. But before my high school reunion, I indulged in both. What I realize is that I feel more confident with groomed toes and fingers. I had both redone yesterday.

These are "dipped" nails, a type of nail creation I was unfamiliar with. I've found they're very strong and durable! In fact, except for my left index fingernail which is fake because it completely tore off, these are my nails! I'm definitely sold on this luxury.

How do you indulge yourself?

FOLLOWING MY BLOG BY EMAIL
As of July 1, Google Blogger is discontinuing its Feedburner email auto-delivery of blog posts. This will affect all of the blogs you follow by email - mine, or anyone else's!

If you previously registered to receive email notifications of my posts, and would like to register to receive email notification of my blog posts, you'll need to re-register. Complete the Follow It form I have installed on my home page - upper right-hand menu. 

Thank you - every one of you! - who have registered to receive my posts by email! Linda

13 comments:

  1. your nails look fabulous! Keep pampering yourself girl. Wish we could go together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip sounds delightful. You and Tay have formed some wonderful bonds that he will remember always. So good that you had this opportunity to spend quality time with him. Love your swirly twirly rug, I hope you find all the orange you need because that orange really makes the entire rug sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to hear about your road trips. When we went in April things were still pretty calm and uncrowded. Love your nails. Emily and I are thinking of doing that in a couple of weeks right before her baby shower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed seeing the park you visited in Georgia. I did not even know it existed but am anxious to go see it now. Like you, I get a little anxious traveling on our interstate system when it gets a crowded, especially with people in a hurry.
    Love your quilt and I know your class will be well attended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice visit, a good trip, and a good amount of crafting progress? Way to go, Linda. Bonus points on getting a mani/pedi, too!! I miss those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hancock's of Paducah really needs 3 hours, not 30 minutes! Just sayin'! And I'm interested that you baste with pins. I got tired of taking them out or catching my machine foot on them and went to spray basting. Though honestly, that's a pain to do and is one of the reasons I usually quilt by check.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I realize the point of the photo of your hand is to show your dipped manicure (I've never heard of that before), which looks great, but it is the green block underneath that really caught my eye. I don't remember seeing it on your blog before. The wavy edges look amazing. I hope you find some orange fabric suitable for your rug. I have become hooked on watching your progress. It's great that you are able to build such wonderful memories with your grandson. I'm sure he enjoys every minute of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you enjoyed the time with your grandson - sounds like you had a blast! I like that runner you are making - curves are just so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for travels and new discoveries. I know from experience about that traffic in KY (& TN!). Bummer.
    RE: Feedburner - so it's July 1, eh? I hadn't heard a specific date yet. But thankfully I was able to concoct a solution last weekend - I'll post about it on Friday. I even learned a few things - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely vacation with your grandson. Love the wall hanging with the curves! I love your basting spray. I no longer do any pinning! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Heidi! Thank you for your lovely comment. Yes, we sure had a fantastic time with Tay, for the whole ten days. He's such a good kid. Thanks for liking my table runner too. Glad you're liking the basting spray. My auto-pilot default is to grab pins, but I need to make more basting spray, and use it more often. (Sorry for this public reply, but your Google profile is set to "noreply-commenter," so I'm unable to respond to you personally.)

      Delete
  11. What a terrific trip to bring Tay back to his folks. I recently read about the "little Grand Canyon" and it looks as if it didn't disappoint. Wow- your rug. I'm sure you're anxious to hunt down that orange so you can keep going. I like the curves you're working on, especailly that runner. Thanks for the book suggestions- always appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. (So love your book reviews--I always forget to tell you this.)
    Fun to see your travels, your manicure, your braiding, and your projects. I can always count on you to give me something new to look at it and to think about!
    I'd heard that the USA is packed packed packed with travelers. Before I broke my ankle, we'd had a couple of trips on the books, but heard that even the boys from our church couldn't get camping sites for their outdoor excursions, and then have since seen so many news articles about how it's like we've all been sprung loose.
    We're staying close to home currently, and given the Delta variant's rise, that's okay. We're not out of this pandemic yet, so I hope everyone is staying safe in your neck of the woods. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin