Monday, December 21, 2020

Rotary Blade Sharpener Reviews

In my previous post, I invited comments about rotary blade sharpener recommendations. Similarly, I asked for feedback on my Instagram feed. 

In general, comments about sharpeners were negative. As in, "don't bother," and these:
  • No one has a good review for rotary blade sharpeners.
  • Sharpeners won’t fix nicks.
So, using the same photos from the previous post, I've added comments as people provided them. You can decide for yourself.

Omnigrid
  • I can’t tell that using it makes a difference.
  • I used this for many years, and it sharpens blades well.
Omnigrid: about $20

Colonial "Twist and Sharp"
  • It seems to give the blade a little extra life, but not a whole lot. If the blade has been bent so it just skips in one spot, the sharpening process may straighten it out.
  • Works fine, but nothing replaces a brand new fresh blade.
  • This didn’t work. Blades weren’t sharper. 
Colonial Needle Company: about $20

No comments about the Colonial brand "Turn-Sharp."

Colonial Needle Company: about $35


No comments about this TrueCut. 

TrueCut: about $35



TrueCut linear sharpener
  • Waste of time, total rubbish.
  • It is hopeless.
  • This was fine as long as there were no “nicks” in the blade, sharpeners won’t fix them. I rarely use it anymore, as even with sharpening they aren’t like new.
TrueCut linear sharpener: about $40

TrueCut/TrueSharp 2 power sharpener 
  • The blades came out duller! Then someone asked if I had wet the stones which is what you do when sharpening knives with some stones. I had returned it before I could try wetting it-so whatever you get, be sure to check. Note: this sharpener comes with stone-wetting oil. See this YouTube video.
TrueCut/TrueSharp 2 power sharpener: about $70

This Tri-Sharp brand, made by Prym-Dritz was mentioned and is about $20. Note: Choose the sharpener size for the blade size you wish to sharpen - 28 mm, 45 mm, or 60 mm.
  • Blades never got sharp.
  • Works really well and is easy to use. 

And yet others pointed me to places where I could make bulk purchases of rotary blades! One person suggested buying Quilt-in-a-Day brand of self-sharpening rulers.

Yet, I'd really like to try sharpening my used stack 'o blades. 

All this information is helpful, but inconclusive. I still don't know which one to buy, if any. Do you?!

Linda

9 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how people use the same item and have different results? I personally am pretty afraid of getting cut so I haven't ever tried it. I have enough trouble trying to separate the 5 blades of a multi-pack. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, its scary trying to separate without getting cut!

      Delete
  2. Have you thought of asking a rug laying company what they do with their blades? I am sure they have dull blades as well. After trying a sharpener I decided to keep an eagle eye out for JoAnn's coupons 50% off. I too have many blade containers with used written on them. Perhaps the refuse folks would have a suggestion on what to do with the metal blades...... wonder if the blog readers who liked their result would have "hints" on how they went about the sharpening???

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year has turned me into a garden gnome. So. I have blades.
    I have used blades, if they are really garbage then I toss them.
    You can save used old blades and other sharp things in a medication container, or other similar locking container and sometimes a "hazardous materials" collection is available somewhere on earth. Save them in a dark space in your house until that day arrives to dispose of those offensive things

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the True Cut sharpener (bought for the same reason you are looking!) I've had mixed results, blades are definitely not as good as new, but if they are just dull, you can get a pretty decent edge on them again. If the blade has a nick, you might as well dispose of it. Maybe a rotary blade sharpening service might be a better idea?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ran into a scissors sharpener guy at a show a couple of years ago who also offered to do rotary blades. Tried one of these home sharpeners at a retreat and it did nothing. Husband looked at it and said that, without consistent pressure through the whole rotation it wouldn’t work, so that would seem to leAve out any manual models. I buy the titanium blades and they last well if you don’t run over pins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting comments. The devices do seem a bit pricey for the lackluster reviews they get. I have used blades and broken needles in a coffee can and a pill bottle, respectively. I keep meaning to check on the county website to learn about safely disposing of them. But in the meantime, they pile up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I checked. In Marion (are you in Sumter?), we are to obtain a "sharps" container from the recycle center attendant and deposit it in a special kiosk for hazardous materials. Will see about this next time we go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not used this company, but they have a blade exchange program. http://www.lpsharp.com/

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin