Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Kawandi, Italica back, and Merry Christmas!

I've completed my third Kawandi. This is the quiltmaking technique I learned in a workshop with Sujata Shah @therootconnection. The quilt is hand-stitched, working from the outside edges toward the center. 

It's 16" X 22½" and pieced with my grandmother's scraps of vintage fabrics.

There's one particular large-scale print among grandma's scraps - pink background with white flowers - so in the center I placed one large flower.

Backing fabric is an old-fashioned-looking print by Denyse Schmidt.

Batting is Quilter's Dream Poly Request. Thread is Aurifil #12. And I stitched with a Bohin crewel/embroidery needle #7. I like this type of hand-stitching so much that I'm thinking to make another one. 

After many hours spent sorting and piecing, I finished putting together a back for my Italica quilt. This is  81" X 91" and used up well over ¾ of the bits, blocks, scraps, and leftover yardage from piecing the front. 

I know it looks like a mash-up, but it works for me. Sandwiching and pin-basting will happen in the next several days.

I've got two books to recommend to you. You'll want to add both of these to your reading list.

One by One
 is Ruth Ware's latest book, released in September. If you're a fan of this author, as I am (The Woman in Cabin Ten, The Lying Game, The Death of Mrs. Westaway) you'll enjoy this read.

Snoop is an app developed by a tech company. When the Snoop corporate team of ten goes on a week-long retreat at a secluded ski chalet, tensions between the two former co-owners is palpable. Liz, a former Snoop employee, dreads the week ahead and what it may mean for her. Erin, the chalet's hospitality employee, observes the guests interactions, picking up on verbal and non-verbal cues that make her wary, and a little concerned about the secret she's keeping. 

The storyline involves skiing, including terms that I wasn't familiar with, like "funicular." But everyone knows the word "avalanche," right? Note: Some characters use an excessive amount of profanity. 

Linda's score: 4.4/5.0

The Guest List by Lucy Foley is another unexpectedly delicious read. A wedding is about to happen at an old castle - a folly - on an island off the coast of Ireland. The wedding planner, Aoife (pronounced E-fah) and her husband have updated the folly, and this is their first big event. The bride, Jules, and groom, Will, are celebrities, and the guest list is exclusive. The best man and groomsmen are private school mates of Will's, and have a long history of schoolboy pranks and playing "survivor." Jules's only bridesmaid is her 19 year-old troubled sister. With everyone together, truths are revealed that have several people thinking murderous thoughts. 

The whole book takes place over the course of three days, with the author referring to previous days, and "now," the wedding day. Having the story set in such a wild place with bogs, a cemetery and windswept cliffs, enhanced by an approaching storm, make for an enticing story. Note: Some characters use an excessive amount of profanity. 

Linda's score: 4.4/5.0

Made by me; pattern by Dilys Fronks

Have a blessed Christmas my friends! Linda

11 comments:

  1. Sch a beautiful Christmas quilt, capturing the spirit of the season so well. Merry Christmas to you and hubby, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kawandi's would make such wonderful placemats, do they seem durable enough for that kind of use? Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Kwandi! I still want to make another tho I've still got alot of embroidery planned too AND I'm hand-quilting a quilt right now, so I'll be in the line-up.
    Also what a great quilt back. Use what you have right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special quilt this third Kawandi must be, Linda! That mash-up of a quilt back is just the thing to be proactive with your fabric scraps. If you USE them, you don't have to STORE them!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Kawandi has a lovely vintage feel. Making something by hand seems very appropriate for your grandmother's scraps. I think you pulled together an amazing back for the Italica quilt too. It will be a true two sided quilt. Good for you finding such a creative way to use almost all the scraps. Merry Christmas dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you and yours a Blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year! Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie B ("no-reply commenter"). Merry Christmas and happy new year to you too!

      Delete
  7. What a nice project for your family scraps. My eye went right to that pink floral. Love the backing you pieced and your Holy Family quilt. I made one similar to it from the same designer. Christmas blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy admiring your beautiful projects and also appreciate your book reviews. I am listening to “The Guest List” audiobook now! The six different narrators are excellent. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An exciting Kawandi quilt, so different from the usual fabrics used but what a wonderful way to have stitched memories of your grandmother in this beautiful little piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Kawandi quilt is one of my favorites that I've seen so far. What a great way to preserve the fabric collection.
    Nice improv quilt. great pallet.
    thanks for the book recommends and the Christmas humor.
    Belated Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin