Thursday, November 14, 2019

Logs for Linda

Our Central Florida MQG meeting was Monday, on Veteran's Day. We were finally able to share our completed challenge quilts. Though only 10 of our 62 members participated in the challenge, the quilts were great! Here's the link in case you'd like to see them. (As media coordinator for the chapter, I write all these blog posts. We also had 28 show and tells at the meeting, so my position kept me busy!)

For this challenge, members were asked to chose one of their initials, select a traditional quilt block beginning with the same letter, and make a modern quilt from the block. I chose the Log Cabin block for my first name initial "L." It was a fun experience for me because I dislike log cabin blocks. I've never, in 40 years of quiltmaking, made a log cabin block. But I'm really happy with how my quilt turned out. It's 43" X 48".

I started with two bins of solid scraps, making a couple test blocks - yellow and red. Then, for whatever reason, I started grabbing red and pink scraps. Most of the strips and pieces were improv cut.

After I'd made the red-pink blocks, I decided to make the quilt larger and added purples. I could have kept going with more colors, but really didn't have the time to spend on it. Since the quilt's minimum size requirement was only 20" X 20", I was already there. This is the quilt top.

I kept quilting minimal to keep the modern style, using a walking foot to quilt an on-point square in the quilt center. 

Then, on each of the four corners I used a walking foot to quilt a half circle, traveling over the straight line quilting to get to the next half circle. 

I used four different colors of 50-weight Aurifil thread, and Moda Grunge as backing fabric. I think the quilting shows up nicely because batting is Quilter's Dream Puff. I like it!

For the third time I followed my favorite "Easy Quilt Facing" tutorial found here on the Bernina WeAll Sew website to finish the quilt edges.

I've discovered that the Bismarck palm in our front yard is a great place to hang and photograph a quilt!


Do you know that those palm stems are cupped? They are trough-shaped, and very tough. It was easy to clip the quilt to the stem edge with a binder clip. I've found my new, favorite, outdoor, quilt-photo-taking spot!
"Logs for Linda," 43" X 48"
This week has been crazy-busy. Besides the CFQMG meeting that generated lots of media postings for me (blog and Instagram), I had a check-up ultrasound of both legs, testing for P.A.D. blockages. Apparently none were found because the doc didn't call back. That's great! Keeping those peripheral (leg) arteries pumping with blood are why I keep exercising regularly.

On Monday we traded-in our 2014 Honda Accord, with 90,000-plus miles on it, for a 2020 Honda Accord Touring sedan. The car was delivered to our house on Tuesday, and we spent several hours learning about the technology, including many great safety features - like a lane-minder that keeps you centered in your lane if you take your hands off the wheel or start to drift, when traveling over 45 mph. It's fun to get a new car, but very time-consuming to learn how to use!

I finished an audiobook last week, and have another recommendation. It's "The Child Finder" by Rene Denfeld.

Naomi Cottle is an almost 30 year-old detective who has an innate ability to locate lost and missing children. In this story she handles two different cases, both of which occur in Oregon, in/near the Skookum National Forest - a cold, snowy place in the winter. The author provides perspective from eight year-old Madison who was taken when she was only five years old, and Naomi's own shadowy experiences of being held captive as a child. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Linda's score: 4.6/5.0

By the way, I'm scheduling teaching and speaking engagements, so if you're interested, please check out the "Schedule: Programs and Workshops" tab at the top of this blog page. Linda

13 comments:

  1. I love log cabin blocks and your modern take on it is fabulous. The quilting is spot-on for it as well!!! Now I'm going to check out the other quilts and check out that Easy Quilt Facing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your fun log cabin quilt. Isn't it amazing how complicated new car driving is these days. We're looking at some options right now since hubby's 2004 pickup has over 175,000 miles and though it still seems pretty reliable we know it's only a matter of time until it needs major repairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your version of a log cabin quilt ... it has so much movement when looking at it. Love your color choices also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt! Such a clever response to the prompt. Thanks for the book recommendation. I put it on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colors/values are so well placed in your challenge quilt. It creates so much wonderful movement. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I made one traditional log cabin quilt a hundred years ago, and a wonky log cabin baby quilt a few years ago...that was when I requested the tutorial for making spirals! Last year I finished a quarter log cabin modern quilt which was fun. But none were as pretty or as striking as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a lover of the log cabin block in just about any form, I'm a fan of your quilt. Love the progression of color. Off to see the others in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I've been traveling, and then sick (thank you, airplane), I read through all the blog posts I'd missed while not reading online. You've been busy! I do love this log cabin quilt of yours, and think your ideas in it (color, method, quilting) all qualify for another Fabulous Linda Finish. Congratulations on such a fine quilt. I also enjoyed seeing your favorite new photography place--glad you found one, and reading about your trips and doings.

    But best of all is your good news on your health--hoorah! Glad to hear it.
    Hugs from afar--E.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that quilt Linda. It's bright and modern and reflects your style. Congratulations on the new car. That must be fun. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Linda! I looked for an email address but it seems like a comment is the best way to reach you. I just came to your blog today from a Google search about sewing machines. I have been looking at the Juki 2010 and Janome 1600 and one of your posts came up. I then looked around some more and see that you now sew on a Bernina 7 series machine and have traded in your Janome. May I ask how you came to that decision? I have a small Bernina and am looking for more throat space. I have enjoyed looking around your blog today and love so many of your quilts that I think I should add your blog as a regular stop on my travels around the web!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, if this is the kind of work you do when you "dislike" the pattern, I am very intrigued by what you will produce when you love a pattern :-) In my opinion this is fantastic quilt - very chic and bright, beautifully and appropriately quilted. Love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a really fun challenge idea, using your initial. And--I LOVED that book. Read it on vacation last year.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin