Thursday, November 7, 2019

Counting Stitches

My Bernina 770QE machine is back from local servicing at Sharky's Vac 'n Sew. The store has been a Bernina dealer for a year now (I bought the first Bernina they sold), and I'm pleased about having such good access to Bernina. But golly, a tune-up is $165! What do you pay?

I'd been bothered by the fact that the looper right above the needle wasn't holding the thread - it was continually coming out of the little clip. So, for servicing, I left a spool of Aurifil 50-weight with the machine, so it could be tested with that weight. Happily, since servicing, the looper is keeping the thread in place.

Another Bernina 770QE owner/friend/neighbor told me how to read my machine's stitch count for myself! Thank you, Becky! Here's how to do it, in case you'd like to know too.

From your machine's computer screen select:
Gears 

Machine

Information

v1.0

There it is!
 

Yep, that's 1 million, 666 thousand, 163 stitches! Given that this machine will have been in my hands one year on November 19, it I'd say I've used it a little bit!

My latest quiltmaking efforts have focused on finishing blocks and putting together this Moroccan Tiles quilt, requested by daughter Jill. She selected the pattern and bought the fabrics, and I worked out how to make it larger. It 67" X 74".

I hate to admit it, but with this top finished, once again I have three quilt tops awaiting quilting. You can be sure quilting will soon be a priority.

I've continued to cut and glue-baste pieces for my Prudence quilt. These will become Bloom blocks.

"The Girl With No Name" by Diney Costeloe is my latest audiobook listen. It's not to be confused with another book with the same title about a girl raised by monkeys!

In this book, Lisa Becker is a young teenager who is sent from Germany to England to escape Nazi oppression at the onset of WWII. She becomes the foster daughter of a childless couple. During the relentless London Blitz Lisa is injured, loses her memory, and is soon evacuated to rural England. The story seemed to lag in places, as I wondered why the author focused on particular incidences that happened to other characters (like a German pilot who parachuted into a tree, suffered injuries, and after being moved away from a local hospital, was never heard of again) but overall I appreciate this perspective on life in London during the war - shelters, bombings, incendiary devices, doodlebugs, and home guard responsibilities.

Linda's score: 4.6/5.0 

Linda

6 comments:

  1. I pay $99 for a tuneup on a 350PE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of stitches! Beautiful work goes along with that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt for your daughter is really wonderful. very fancy. I can imagine this quilt in something really "indie" and scrappy, sort of like a persian rug, haha
    I really like the colors of your paper piecing bits

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I had my Bernina serviced recently, it cost $175 which I thought was very reasonable. But maybe that’s because we are used to the high price of EVERYTHING over here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't recall how much my Bernina service was earlier in the year but it wasn't that much. Low 100s I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your machine is home and working properly. That does seem like an awful lot for a tune up. Your daughters quilt looks lovely. She’ll be so pleased.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin