Friday, March 22, 2013

I am Blessed!


Words cannot express how grateful I am for the dozens and dozens of comments on my previous post. Goodness! So many. Nor could I count all the private emails I received. Though I've spent hours on the computer, trying to compose thoughtful responses to each of you (except for the six or so of you who are "no reply commenter"), my replies were not done begrudgingly. It was therapeutic for me to consider what you said and then examine my feelings - emotionally and spiritually - about this diagnosis. You all make me certain I am not experiencing this alone - in fact, many of you have been through something similar, and even worse. With God's love, and many prayers, I am being helped. I am earnestly and sincerely thanking God for surrounding me with "such a great cloud of witnesses." You bless me.

Thank you, Gloria, for directing me to this Bible verse;
For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, "Do not fear. I will help you." Isaiah 41:13 (NIV)
Cards have been coming in too, with "concern for you" cards running neck-and-neck with birthday cards. In the picture I'm featuring my favorite card that came from my line dancing buddy, Sheila. It says, "Sixty Schmixty." Hrumph! That's what I think too!

Friends also blessed me with some thoughtful and lovely birthday gifts. 

Thanks Susan M. for the chocolate bar. Seems it was invisible because it disappeared before I could take a picture... a decadent, 72 percent dark cocoa with raspberry bar. Delicious!

Not one, but two fabric shop gift certificates came from Team Di, and Deb. What's not to love? 

Sweet Ms. Lolly surprised me with beautiful work from her flourishing palms. It's a 9" X 13" casserole/cake carrier!

Aren't the fabrics pretty? And that orange binding and drawstring are just the right finishing touch.

She even made a pot holder to go with it. It sounds crinkly inside, so I'm sure it was made with Insul-bright. So practical, and just plain charming!

I will use it as soon as I can get hubby to make a casserole for me to take someplace!

Sewing-wise, I seem unable to remain focused on one project at a time, but that's not too unusual. Three are in the works. That seems about right, doesn't it?

I started FPP palm leaf blocks to make a wall hanging for a long, narrow space in the living room. Yep, we're still adding the last finishing touches to this house.

I really like these blocks. Fourteen more to go.

At the Original Sewing and Quilting Expo in Lakeland (FL) last Friday, I picked up the pattern for "Lunch Time," by Flamingo Island Designs. It's available as a kit, but I'm not and never will be a kit person. It's too much fun sorting through and picking out fabrics that make my project different from everyone else's. I'm not much for machine appliqué or this fussy kind of sewing, but the design is too perfect for filling the bare wall in our front entry. Our family has this thing for pelicans - childhood remembrances of beach vacations on Sanibel Island (FL). In front of our house, our lamp post name sign has a pelican on it. I'm on the hunt for a pelican statue/figurine too.

It's been enjoyable to pick and poke through fabrics to see what works for all the bits of wings, bills, and legs for the pelican, and nine sandpipers. This is as far as it's gotten.

I'm still FMQing this 86" X 101" monstrosity - Roll, Roll Cotton Boll - trying to take a bite of it every day. The blocks are quilted now, and I'm starting to quilt the outside setting triangles.

I'm sure glad I listened to Carla's recommendation to try sateen for the backing. From an online store, I bought a wide back sateen that enhances the texture of the quilting, though it could also be looking nice because I'm using Quilter's Dream polyester batting - another recommendation. In any case, it's been wonderful to quilt, without skipped stitches or problems of any kind.

Now if all of life could be as easy as free-motion quilting! Surgery is next Tuesday and radiation begins about a week later. Thanks for hangin' in there with me, friends. I am blessed by each of you. Linda

13 comments:

  1. You are certainly in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. I know God will use this journey of yours for His glory - keep holding on. I am so jealous of your progress on RRCB - mine is still sitting :(. Which is such a shame because it's so pretty and needs to be done. Maybe this will be the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings on you Linda. Will remember to keep praying for you and hubby too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three projects going is perfect. And they're such good ones! Love those palm blocks - awesome fabric. Also love how you're quilting your RRCB. That's a keeper, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers! I love all your projects but that quilt is just divine! Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a great positive attitude Linda, and several lovely projects to take your mind off your troubles too. Best of luck with your op and the start of radiation - all your blogger friends are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quilters, bloggers, and your friends in the villages are there for you. Many prayers I know will be said to the Lord for you.
    Love that casserole carrier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Continuing to hold you in prayer! God is in control. I wish I could be there to sew with you and learn how to paper piece! We could have a wonderful time I am sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda! You get more done than anyone I know! I'm so blessed to be your friend. You know I'm here for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all happy birthday! Second, I'm sorry that you have so much to go through. You do sound very positive and you have so much faith that it will see you through.
    Your projects are a delight and your gifts are wonderful, love the greens in the casserole holder and mat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thoughts and prayers coming your way, and lots of virtual hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  12. A belated Happy Birthday Linda!!!

    All the best for your treatment. wishing you a swift recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love those palm leaves and the fabric is perfect - I'm going to send you a photo of a pelican my mum has at her house - best wishes for the surgery - thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin