What I learned is that making a tuffet can be expensive! If you visit the TuffetSource website, you'll quickly find out how easy it is to spend more than $100 on supplies.
My tuffet ended up costing less than $60 - a bargain!
The pattern was $15. I also bought:
- muslin - the foundation for string-piecing the eight sections
- two, 18" squares of 3"-thick foam
- upholstery batting
- decorative tacks
- upholstery thread
- a covered button
It's what I received for free that made my tuffet possible... shared by a friend in Boerne, Texas. We arranged to visit these friends twice last year, and it was fun to see where Greg spends his retirement time - in a huge, wonderful shop, adjacent to their home. Greg's shop is as important to him as my sewing room is to me.
Greg cut an 18" diameter round board from a used piece of wood he already had.
He used a jigsaw to make cutting the circle look easy.
After cutting the round board, he sanded the edges, and also sanded the bottom to remove some old paint.
On another trip to Texas in December, he shaped four bun feet, and routed holes for the screws that attach the feet to the 18" base.
He also provided four tee nuts and hangar bolts to attach the feet to the board, and drilled two holes in the board center through which to thread the button. I doubt I would have made a tuffet if it hadn't been for Greg's supplies, tools, and expertise.
The rest of the work was up to me. In comparison to Greg's efforts, the sewing I did seemed simple!
I cut two 18" foam circles using a Cutco bread knife. The knife worked well, though it's a good thing the edges are hidden under the cover. It's sort of a hack job.
After gluing the foam to the wooden board, I used a staple gun to cover the foam, twice, with thick upholstery batting.
Then came attaching the outside cover, turning under the edges, and nailing decorative tacks to hold everything in place.
Lastly, the hubs had to help push in on the tuffet center so I could add the button.
The pattern calls for using a long upholstery needle to sew the button on. The needle has to be punched through the foam layers and holes in the wood base, twice, to secure it with thread at the bottom. I wasn't about to spend $8 for a needle I'd use on this one occasion! When I mentioned this to Greg, he fashioned a 17"-long "needle" for me out of some thick wire he had on hand. It worked beautifully!
I'm indebted to Greg for making my tuffet a reality. He can be sure I won't ever bother him about making a second one!
Now I understand why quilters are getting together to make tuffets at a quilt shop. They can share supplies that they'd otherwise have to invest in to put the whole thing together. And it's always more fun to share a project with a friend.
Just like I did. Linda