Monday, June 12, 2023

Action!

With two sewing machines set up now, several projects have seen action. 

Blocks are pieced for the first installment of the Summer Camp Modern Mystery Quiltalong led by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr. Apropos of summer camp, these 17 blocks have names such as Ice Cream Sandwich, Iced Coffee, French Fries, and Ice Cream Truck. Fun! 

I completed making 345 scrappy four-inch (unfinished size) Unallocated blocks to make a 60" X 80" quilt.

After more cutting: 48 setting triangles for the sides; and four large triangles for the four corners, I've begun joining diagonal columns. Sorry for such a sloppy-looking design wall, but it has proven difficult to get so many blocks properly lined-up. 

It's also a little tricky to take them off the design wall in a diagonal column of pairs, to take to the sewing machine for piecing! I'm using the web technique to keep them organized. In the photo below, the red arrow indicates a diagonal column that has been joined by chain stitching. I'm piecing a little each day at my Featherweight. 

At my big Bernina 770QE I'm quilting my Alternate Route improv quilt. It's getting a combination of walking foot quilting, ruler quilting, and free motion quilting using color 2510 Aurifil 50-weight that matches the Sachet (pale lavender) Painter's Palette solid. Since I've nearly finished quilting that color, I'll switch to blue thread to quilt the Patriot color. As I go, I'm continually assessing where to leave un-quilted areas to later fill with big stitch hand quilting. I hope to get to that fun part by the end of the week!
 

I completed hand-embroidering this Dropcloth Sampler - it's called "Milky Way" - purchased from Snuggly Monkey and started in January. It's only six inches in diameter, so you would think it wouldn't take months to complete, however I stitched only when away from home (at Big Cypress Quilters), or while chatting on the phone. It's colorful and fun and I don't know what to do with it! I don't need another pouch or tote bag - I have them coming out my ears! - but I'd like to turn this into something. It's too nice-looking to be stuck away in a drawer. Thoughts? 

Book Recommendations
Horse
by Geraldine Brooks is a historical fiction account of Lexington, a famous Kentucky racehorse who captured the attention of race fans in the mid-1850s. Born in Kentucky and named Darley, he was given by a plantation owner to his freed black trainer. That man's son, Jarrett, became Darley's companion, and eventually trainer to Darley, the fastest horse in the South who was renamed Lexington.

In the 1950s, an art gallery owner has become obsessed with equestrian paintings; in the present day, a young woman scientist from Sydney, Australia, who is a director at the Smithsonian, has found Lexington's articulated skeleton. she's helping research them further, and turning up unexpected information. As well, a black art historian has uncovered paintings of Lexington that also reveal more about horse-training in pre-Civil War America.

Part of Lexington's history takes place in Natchez, Mississippi, the wealthiest city in the US before the Civil War (and a city I've visited several times). While I'm not up on horse racing, I thought this was a fascinating story. 

Linda's score: 4.1/5.0

Everything She Feared
 by Rick Molina begins with the death of Anna, a 17 year-old who has fallen off the edge of a cliff while taking a selfie. With her, watching her fall, is nine year-old Katie who Anna babysits. They're on a day-camp trip with a group of kids. 

After the tragedy, the sheriff and detectives investigate, doing everything by the book. Thinking it's an accident, there are interviews with the day camp kids. Volunteer psychologists are brought in to talk with anyone who wants counseling. Katie meets with Dr. Meta who begins to learn things from Katie that have her concerned. Sara, Katie's mom doesn't want to talk about it.

Meanwhile, there's an on-going true-crime podcast search for a long-ago killer who, after serving 20 years in prison, walked away without a trace. Families want to know where their loved-ones are buried. A journalist whose sister was murdered, is coming to believe there's a connection. 

Linda's score: 4.0/5.0

Over the summer I plan to read and study this book. While it's not typical for me to read a print book, I tried listening to Twelve Ordinary Men - about Jesus' disciples - but found myself wanting to jot down things I learned.

When I found Twelve Ordinary Men in a single book that included Twelve Extraordinary Women (Did you catch that? Men are ordinary; women are extra-ordinary?!) I had to have it.

This will be my self-guided summertime study of the apostles and whichever women of the Bible are extraordinary - all of them, no doubt! I'm posting here to be held accountable to actually read.
Seen on Instagram...

Profound wisdom... a little too late.

Tomorrow,at Big Cypress Quilters I'm teaching a half-dozen quilters - many are away, either back up north for the summer, or gone on vacations - how to make Kawandi.

Our project is only 10" X 14", but I've got more of Grandma's vintage scraps to use-up, so I will! Linda

13 comments:

  1. I read HORSE and it was great!!! Base on true facts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dueling sewing machines!!! Or is it dual-ing?! Great way to get things done, Linda. I would frame or back the embroidery and hang it in the studio, for your enjoyment! I have Horse on hold with the library app--says 671 people are waiting in total! Must be good! I'm number 5 now. Every Thing She Feared sounds kind of scary. It didn't give you nightmares? Asking for a friend! Best wishes for your class tomorrow! Sounds great!!! I'd be there, if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to set up a second machine. I finally finished my ruler quilting on my latest quilt and I'm ready to move onto my next project. I could have easily set up my second machine to give myself a break but didn't think of it! Thanks for the idea. You've got a great variety of projects underway - they are all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've discovered Rick Mofina! I've read 13 of his books, and will finish the last 1 or 2 remaining on Hoopla when I can. Right now I've already exceeded my 5 limit for the month on Hoopla (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The embroidery circle would be great as a quilt block in a circle quilt or an improv quilt that has other hand stitching added.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would also frame the embroidery. (The only other thing I can think of is to make it into a trivet.) You could do it quite easily by using an embroidery hoop for the frame. Put some thin batting behind the piece, hoop it, and then pull the edges together on the back with stitching. Mary Corbet at needlenthread.com just wrote a blog post on framing with actual frames.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Unallocated quilt and the Modern mystery!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you saying that you like these projects, Cindy. I’m having such a good time with them! Unallocated is coming together now, and the Modern Mystery installment 2 was Friday, so I'm ready to move ahead. Plenty more fun sewing opportunities! Linda

      Delete
  8. Loving your progress on the Unallocated quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Milky Way! That's one of the Dropcloth Samplers I haven't tackled yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a magical quilter my lovely friend. I would frame the beautiful circle and hang it somewhere in your home. As always l, thanks for your book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is pretty embroidery! Sampler to hang on the wall? Dresser scarf or topper for a small table? Or center of a quilt and you surround it with more white fabric in which you quilt flowers and other shapes that echo the embroidery? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How about using a display case. They come in many sizes, shapes and colors and are about an inch or better wide so they can stand on a table of shelf and not have to be hung. Your piece is too pretty not to be displayed in some way.
    Your Kawandi class was a great success. Enjoyed it very much and actually finished mine already. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin