Friday, October 21, 2022

Ramped-Up, QC Entries

I can't believe more than a week nine days have passed since my last blog post! That's not like me, but it's indicative of ramped-up activities this month. 

I completed the two quilts shared in my last blog post, and have submitted four quilts to QuiltCon 2023 (October 31 entry deadline), as well as submitted a quilt (about two months ago) for publication consideration: QuiltCon magazine. A new entry rule this year is that a MQG member may have up to four quilts displayed at QuiltCon. Honestly, I'm hoping one will be accepted. QuiltCon competition is always stiff. 

This is Harborage that began as an Instagram #30daysofimprovqal, and finished at 50" W X 44" H with a faced edge. This is the first time I've entered a quilt in the "improvisation" category.

Harborage, 50" X 44"

A couple close-ups of the quilting - free motion; and big stitch hand quilting with three different colors of size 8 Wonderfil Eleganza perle cotton.
          

This is Log Jam, made for the QuiltCon Log Cabin Challenge. It finished at 68" X 70".

Using a walking foot on my Bernina 770QE, I spiral quilted the center, on-point section. 

Then I quilted each of the four corner sections with straight lines spaced ¾" apart. 

Let me tell you, this was a bear to get squared-up! I began by placing lots of rulers along the sides along which I drew lines. But when several measurements across the width and length weren't equal, I pulled out my square, corner laser pointer.

Since buying this gizmo about nine years ago, other laser square-up thingys are available (like at Lowe's or Home Depot). To make it work, I had to put my hand under the quilt to lift it a smidge so as to see the red laser line which I then drew onto the quilt top with an air-erase marker. 

This isn't how I actually used it, but I thought you'd like to see the tool, and the red light line it makes.

Once I'd drawn the lines with the laser gizmo, I measured and double-checked measurements to ensure all lines were on the square. They were. Then, with my walking foot and a long basting stitch, I stabilized the edges along the drawn line. This worked well to keep everything in place as I sewed a black and white striped binding to it. I used No Tails Binding: Mitered Corners by Machine method (available as a webinar on the MQG site, and my blog tutorial is here) and am very pleased with the end result. 

After QuiltCon entries were photographed, written-up, and payment made ($20 per entry), it was time to get back to a Patchwork Pony!

"Patches" on the right, is truly a patchwork pony made with 477 squares that finish at 1". How 'bout his green mane and tail? Boy, this pattern is fantastic for using up leftover batting pieces. For some reason, it's extremely gratifying to rotary chop batting bits and stuff them into a pony. 

Three ponies are now in my stable, ready to give to Children's Home Society of Florida. Though I'm hoping to make one more before Big Cypress Quilters has its November 8 baby shower for the organization. If you think this pattern is as cute too, you can buy yours here from Jo Avery in the UK.

In between all the above, and other things (like line dancing, power walking, two Bible study groups, quilt groups, and a doc appointment) I've been playing with my new tenor ukulele (the blue one) that arrived last Saturday night at about 7 pm. As you can see, a tenor ukulele is larger than a concert ukulele. 

Blue is really pretty, with its two-tone glossy finish. These are the original fluorocarbon strings that I've already had replace at local music shop. 

This picture is a truer representation of the uke color, and the new Aquila Red strings. Between the larger sound capability of a tenor uke, and these Aquila strings, the sound is truly amazing! It reverberates the mellow tones of a guitar. I've been practicing daily to learn the Travis picking method. 

Though the uke came with a gig case, it's plain 'ole black. Ugh! You know me... I need to make a color statement with my uke case, and this is the Riley Blake print I picked up at my LQS. It will be on the outside; the aqua behind the print will be cording and lining. I also bought two Pellon products to give the case structure, and ordered a 36" separating zipper from an Etsy shop. I must make a strap too.

In case you're not on the Curated Quilts email list, I'm sharing that this past week's email promoted CQ's Triangle issue. My small quilt, which appeared in the gallery of that issue, was mentioned in their advertising. Funny though, the quilt was shown upside down! 😁

What do you think? That way?

Or this way, as it was shown in the magazine? 

I kinda like it upside down! 

Book Recommendations
Catherine de Medici
by Leonie Frieda is a book I intentionally chose to listen to because we've been watching the Starz series The Serpent Queen. It's about Catherine de Medici, a 14 year-old girl from an Italian merchant family who marries the Dauphin (son of the king) of France. Catherine is initially barren, but eventually gives birth to ten children, three of whom become king of France. However, due to the young age that each son ascends the throne, she's the Regent Queen, retaining all the power to govern France. The country's greatest challenge is a rising division between the Catholic Papacy, and Protestant reformers such as "heretic Lutherans" and "Calvinists." Yet there's enough personal intrigue and information, that Catherine is a fascinating person. Her life story covers the years from approximately 1540 to 1590, and is an excellent look into what court looked like and how people manipulated and treated one another. 

This is definitely a biography - about 20 hours of audiobook listening! - and several times, I floundered through it because many different names, and different castles/residences, and provinces, as well as skirmishes and treasonous acts were narrated in such a "history book" sort of way that my mind wandered. No doubt, I would likely have retained more of the story by reading it in print. But I'm certainly glad I read it. If I ever get to visit France, I will re-read this book so I am sure to find some of Catherine's castles and locations such as The Tuileries in Paris, and Chenonceau. 

Linda's score: 4.0/5.0

Ready for a complete change of pace after reading about Catherine, The Stolen Marriage by Diane Chamberlain met every expectation.

It's 1944 and young Tess DeMello has her life planned. She'll finish her nursing degree while her fiancé, Vincent, begins working as a pediatric physician. Their wedding is only months away. But when a severe polio outbreak takes Vincent from Baltimore to Chicago for a far longer time than either of them expected, Tess makes a huge mistake. It's so big and unforgivable that she knows Vincent will never understand. Tess heads to Hickory, North Carolina where she begins a new life that makes her very unhappy. In her kind and loving way, she endures the gossip and unfriendliness she faces in Hickory, including dealing with a harsh mother-in-law, and finds a different way to overcome her challenges. 

Listening to the author's notes at the end of the book, I was interested to learn that much of what happened in Hickory - related to a polio outbreak - was true. Hearing about how prevalent polio outbreaks were in 1944, and how it mercilessly attacked people regardless of age or ethnicity, made me think of how we endured COVID. This book reminded me of how much we need available vaccines. 

Linda's score: 4.2/5.0

If you've made it to the end of this post... well, thank you! I just had too much I wanted to share. Linda

15 comments:

  1. Re: your quilt direction. The original way shown in the magazine is more calming to me and the other vibrant.(maybe it's the V)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the triangle mini standing up straight, like a mountain or tree. But they both look great! Love those ponies!!! Awesome entries for QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Harborage. I know nothing about "how" to look at or critique an "improvisation" quilt but this color and balance appeal to me. I am not sure how you quilt circles on a big quilt but they look great. Then on to the pony.... what would be extremely gratifying to me is having the space in the closet where pieces of odd batting are kept free for other things. The ponies are very cute. Had never heard of a tenor ukulele and you made it yours with red strings (?) and I had never heard of that either. and two books you have been busy..... thanks for writing your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your finished "Log Jam." Good for you for getting your QuiltCon entries done. Me too! ;-) Congrats on the new uke - what fun! Oh, and I kinda like your triangle mini upside down too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you've got some real contenders for the Quilt Con. Good luck! And you've been feeding those ponies plenty of batting- they look fat and sleek. Very cute. My vote- the way the magazine showed it seems more pleasing to my eye. You are non-stop busy for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't say more than love your quilts, love the quilting on your beautiful Log Cabin Challenge quilt and your ponies are a delight. Amazing that you've been able to finish up these projects given the busy time you've been having!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on your QC submissions - I would love to see both of those in person so fingers crossed! I submitted 4 as well and have another that I am considering submitting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your QuiltCon entries!!

    Your blue ukulele is awesome! I love the colour. I think your new case plans will work brilliantly to match its vibe.

    And I like the triangles pointing down. I think it accentuates the “floating” idea, the triangles standing up could just be standing there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rachel! You're still a "noreply-commenter" so I am unable to privately thank you for commenting. But I appreciate your good wishes about my QuiltCon entries, and affirmation of the direction I'm headed with my ukulele case. Thanks! Interesting that you prefer the downward view of the quilt. You make me appreciate that we each have differing views, and that's what makes the world go 'round!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you all the best with your QuiltCon entries. I love love love how Log Jam turned out. Perfect name too. And the hand quilting on the improv quilt is really a wonderful addition. In my opinion you've got some great entires there that deserve recognition and awards. The blue ukulele is so cool. Saw the colorful case you're making in the last post too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely LOVE Log Jam! And Always Add Orange is great either way. I have a friend who detests orange--I just don't get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm, I've been looking for a better way to square up my quilts. May check on the laser gizmo. It's possible I might find one in the wood shop...
    I actually like your triangle piece the way it was published, but I understand that may distort your intent. I just read that a Mondrian has been hanging upside down for 50 years and nobody noticed, so you're in good company :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with the QuiltCon entries. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Linda - I love Logjam - what a cool quilt. Can't wait to hear if one or more of your submissions are accepted. Hope so!!
    Those patchwork ponies are just adorable. What a gift you have made - There will be some big smiles on the faces of the children who receive these.
    I am not a fan of historical fiction - at least not to the depths that the first book seems to go to. But the other book sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your QuiltCon entries. *fingerscrossed. Would love to see one in Atlanta :) I am new to your blog and as the universe sometimes finds things funny, I read here about line dancing? I am trying a class tomorrow ;) PS: I love your new fabric for the ukulele. Can you tell me the fabric collection/designer? xo Melanie

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin