Friday, September 16, 2022

Retreat and What I Did(n't) Do

Our Central Florida MQG quilt retreat was pretty great. I was the fill-in media coordinator, so here's the CFMQG blog post I wrote about retreat.

On Friday, I arrived at Luther Springs by 11:30 am and was one of the last of people to get there. Only two more quilters came after me, making our group 21 people. 

We set up our sewing stations in the chapel, a relatively new building on the grounds that was designed with quilters in mind - electrical outlets in the floor, four large uncovered windows on two sides of the room, and a kitchenette.

An empty space in the kitchenette wall that I thought was meant for a dishwasher will be where a wine frig goes! It's nice that a Lutheran camp isn't rigid about alcohol use. I also learned that an eight-foot long shelf is being constructed to display quilts. When quilters are in the room, the quilts can be rolled up to reveal a cork wall - a design wall! Since Luther Springs also furnishes tables with risers, and cutting mats, it's no wonder 50 quilt groups rented Luther Springs in 2021!

Our room was sort of quiet at first, probably because we have so many new members in our chapter. We're up to 60-some members now. It took a while for us to get acquainted. And with nine of the retreat attendees being first-time retreaters, we happily led by example!
😀
My goodness! I went on my first quilt retreat in 1990 (perhaps?) with Des Moines Area Quilter's Guild that held two retreats a year. For at least a half-dozen years, I attended both. I've also gone on annual retreats to Riverside Lutheran Bible Camp in Story City, Iowa, with Hope Quilters (I created the Hope Quilters blog); private/small group-type retreats with close friends; and Central Florida MQG retreats that began in 2015.
I figure I've gone on at least 50 overnight retreats, ranging from two to six nights! That may seem like a lot, but since I took up quiltmaking in 1976 - 46 years ago - that doesn't seem like too many retreats.... does it?
This retreat is probably the one where I made the least progress on projects.
I sewed. I took pictures. I called my Dad every day (my siblings moved him into assisted living last Friday). I gave an impromptu Instagram lesson to seven quilters. I attended a Central Florida MQG Executive Committee meeting. I practiced the ukulele. I ate. I sewed. I ate. (Miss Sarah is an excellent cook!) I sewed.
I pieced all the blocks for Tilted Tiles, a pattern designed by Charles Cameron for members of the MQG.

I'll be perfectly honest and say that this Tilted Tiles pattern isn't for the faint of heart! It's somewhat challenging to understand Charles' "shifting" method of arranging fabrics, but once you work it out, you'll agree that he has a brilliant acuity for designing! "Who thinks like this?" is what I kept asking myself as I worked my way through making three different blocks. I would have accomplished more if I'd had a design wall, but it was easy enough to pick up another project.
I made 22 of the 64 blocks I need for my improv foundation paper-pieced design. Blocks are nice and easy to sew, almost boring. This is a best I could manage for laying out blocks.

Since we had to be out of Luther Springs by 10 am Monday (another quilting group was coming at 11 am), many quilters packed up Sunday evening. So, Monday morning we sat around and chatted. I worked on this Kawandi. It's my 12th Kawandi since learning this method.

Here's the 11th Kawandi finished just before going on retreat. It measures 15" X 24", is made with my grandma's vintage scraps, and will be given to a relative.
Kawandi #11, 15" X 24"

Oh! Our Peace, Love, and Ukulele Club performance Tuesday evening went very well. Nineteen of us played and sang to a small crowd at a Leesburg (Florida) Presbyterian church. Here's the YouTube video of our performance. 
Book Recommendation 
The Woman in Blue is book #8 in the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths.
 
This story mostly takes place in the historic community of Walsingham, (England) where religious apparitions appear, and an annual Passion Play attracts costumed visitors of all types. When Cathbad, Ruth's druid friend, sees a woman dressed in blue in the cemetery late one night, and that woman is found dead the next day, the case is handled by DCI Harry Nelson and his team - Clough, Tanya, and Tim. One of Ruth's college friends, Hilary, returns to the area to attend a conference for female priests and shares with Ruth some threatening letters she's received. Ruth passes them on to Harry. They begin to deduce that the woman's death and the letters may be related.

Electronically, this book was available through my library only as an E-book. The next title, #9 is available as an audiobook! Isn't it odd how availability of a book series switches back and forth between platforms like that? I don't understand why. 
But, I'm really enjoying these! Thanks for the recommendation, Cindy www.liveacolorfullife.blogspot.com - @liveacolorfullife !
Linda's score 4.0/5.0

Tomorrow, Saturday, September 17, I'm giving a "Ruler Quilting on a Domestic Machine" program at the Central Florida MQG meeting.

The last time I gave this presentation was March 4, 2020 when I went to Maitland to give this program to the Orlando MQG.

I'll begin the program with a Powerpoint presentation followed demonstrating ruler quilting at my Bernina. For the first time, we're setting up an iPhone to mirror video onto a screen. Hope it all works! 


Linda

10 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing your titled tiles quilt come together! Glad you had fun on your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retreats are always such fun, especially with someone else doing the cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda! I enjoyed seeing a little of your retreat projects. I may contact you when I get home and start the MQG project. I am glad to hear it’s challenging, since a lot of their free patterns don’t teach anything new. I will contact you if I approach frustration—thanks for the offer 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly are a pro retreater. 50 retreats is wild! I've only gone on a couple. I have learned over the years that I am far more productive working by myself. I enjoy the company of others at a retreat but I certainly don't get much done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ruler demonstration and tips were great today. I will try to apply knowledge learned to the carousel quilt top you taught earlier this year. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK- lesson from this: don't take on a job during retreat! It lowers productivity. Though you still got some wonderful work done. Love the vibrant colors in your blocks. Glad your Dad is "at home", even though it's a new one for him. Gave the video a like. I'm impressed that your group has almost an hour repertoire of songs. Good job. I liked Runaway best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the link to your concert. I really enjoyed it. The addition of the kazoos was really fun, but my favorite was the song when the group donned the cat headpieces. I added a like, but it wouldn't let me leave a comment. Everyone looked like they were having fun.

    I always enjoy your book reviews and recommendations. You have turned me into a Ruth Galloway fan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure your retreat companions appreciated all your hard work, sacrificing your sewing time so things would run smoothly. 50 retreats! That's a lot compared to zero for me! They are just not a big thing here, although I don't formally belong to a quilt group so that may have a bit to do with my never having been on retreat! I'm sure I would talk too much and get frustrated at my low productivity! Happy sewing! S

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in awe of that retreat space catering to quilters' needs. That's pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, an amazing space to hold the retreat! Retreats are not a thing here in NZ, even a day's quilting for say a visiting celebrity is a rarity. The last one I went to was an Anna Maria Horner class, she was delightful, loved her quilts... but I confess I spent most of my time chatting & catching up with quilters I hadn't seen in years!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin