Thursday, July 7, 2022

July Doin's

I continue to plod along on my Alison Glass Stitch Club Kantha Sew Along. Five more balls of Wonderful size 8 perle cotton/Eleganza arrived, and I've cut into two of them. Good thing this along has an August due date because I'd be hard-pressed to finish any sooner! 


Maybe Kantha has been slow-going because I've been distracted by other projects. I finished my Quilting Guild of The Villages "30 Challenge" quilt. I'm calling it "Party, Times 30."

It's entirely improv-pieced from my scrap containers. After machine ruler quilting, I completed it with big stitch hand quilting using four colors (red, aqua, green and yellow) of Wonderful #8 Eleganza.

The scrappiness of the design represents the various places and backgrounds our guild's 1,100+ members come from. We're "scrapped together" in 27 chapters, with colorful characters and personalities in each one. They're represented by the bright pops of red, aqua, green and yellow which appear in the guild's logo colors and flying geese shapes. 

Per challenge requirements, it measures 24" X 24". From the back... 


A UFO turned into this 68" X 85" quilt top. I have no clue what to call it. It began as assorted colors of solid 8½" X 8½" squares that I paired with more squares, cut up, pieced and then joined with inset squares of charcoal-colored linen. 

I intentionally inserted two columns of sashing - solids and linen rectangles - to make the quilt top wider at 68". 

I've been considering how to quilt it, thinking a curved design, perhaps like all over clam shells, might be appropriate. Or echoing circles around each square. Thoughts?

Book Recommendations
Most of the book, The Unsinkable Greta James by Jennifer E. Smith, takes place during an eight-day Alaskan cruise. Though I've cruised only once, it was easy to imagine the ship - Greta keeps calling it a boat - and the activities that were offered.

Greta is on the cruise only because her mother, who was supposed to be on the cruise with Conrad, Greta's dad, has recently died. Greta is trying to get along with Conrad with whom she's never had an amicable relationship. She's also reaccessing her career; she's a renown guitarist. She lives to play her guitar, write music and lyrics, and travel all over the world, but after a failed performance, captured on video and gone viral, she's questioning her success. While onboard, she meets a Columbia professor and author who adores books by Jack London. Greta spends time with him. While whale-watching and on a glacier-trekking excursion, they all learn more about themselves. 

Linda's score: 3.7/5.0

I was attracted to the book Jane of Austin by Hillary Manton Lodge because of the title. And then I was happy to have picked it for the places it references.

Jane, Cecilia and Margo are sisters whose mother has died and whose dad has created a financial scandal in San Francisco. The sisters must fend for themselves, so they open a tea shop. In spite of being successful, they're forced to look for a different location. Low on money, they accept a cousin's offer of a place to stay and the opportunity to set up a new shop in Austin, Texas. 

What happens in Austin defines them. Love; love lost; love found. I liked the clean wholesomeness of their lives.

While listening to a book, I often learn something. The tidbit in this book will have me going to Amy's Ice Creams (350 flavors!) and Torchy's for tacos, the next time I'm in Austin visiting grandchildren! Also, if you like to bake, the book includes recipes for scones, macarons, and kolaches (I've never eaten one).

Linda's score: 3.8/5.0

Linda

9 comments:

  1. You're worked on beautiful projects this month. All the handwork on the kantha and the quilting of the guild quilt must be very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with all your big stitch quilting. Looks so so good on all your work and adds such wonderful texture. Maybe some day I'll find the motivation to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Party, Times 30 looks perfect in every way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin! Thanks very much for your affirmation and compliments on my "30 Challenge" quilt! I'm pleased enough with how it turned out, and will look forward to seeing others who enter that category in our local quilt show, next January 27-28, 2023.

      Delete
  4. Lots and lots of colorful hand stitching this month. Your challenge quilt is lively, fun, and 'represents'. I'm liking your idea of the circles quilted on the rectangular blocks- I always like the opposition of circles to soften angular designs. Of course the time-honored Baptist Fan always looks good on pretty much any quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors in what I see as a "sixlet" quilt. Do you remember those six little round, colorful candies that came in a short cellophane wrap? From the computer screen it reminded me of them. Nice job. Your hand quilting is great. Can you find a way to bottle your quilt mojo? I'd be the first in line to buy it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stitching is beautiful--so even!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been very busy, such a lot of hand quilting. Your stitching is delightful, I like how you colour match in some areas and not in other places. And, your 30s Challenge turned out great, I like the back story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work on both of those projects, Linda! I agree with your assessment of needing curves for the second quilt. I'm thinking clamshells might be interesting. Looking forward to seeing what you choose to do!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin