Thursday, May 26, 2022

What Others Make

If you've been following my blog for a while, you may remember that in October 2019 I designed and made this quilt using selvedges. My tutorial for making selvedge blocks is here

Not only was it great for using-up selvedges, but happy play was big stitch hand quilting concentric circles on it.

Recently, blog-follower Cary who lives outside Merritt, British Columbia, Canada, emailed these pictures to me, letting me know she'd made a selvedges quilt using my tutorial. Isn't hers gorgeous?!

The quilt is 59" X 70" and she quilted it herself on a Bernina 770 (like mine). Cary likes quilting with a combination of free motion and ruler work. You go girl!

Cary also likes to use selvedges to make postcards, and shared a couple of them. 

Such a great idea, don't you think?

In July 2020, I shared this quilt, my original design called "Jiggle-Joggle-Jee."

A friend, Dee @quilterdee who once lived near me but has moved away, made her version using my "Jiggle-Joggle-Jee" foundation paper piecing tutorial that includes downloadable foundation papers. 

Dee used fabrics she'd won in a giveaway to make it scrappy. She did such a nice job! I love the color arrangement.

It makes me happy to know my tutorials are being used. And I'm grateful that Cary and Dee shared these pictures with me. Thank you both!

I'm also glad to have these pictures to share because not much has been happening in my own sewing room. I'm hand-stitching my Alison Glass Stitch Club Kantha Sew Along, and it's slowly coming along - 22 passes along the 78" length, so far. And, I'm making a cover for our son's electric keyboard, using Painter's Palette Solid "Nautical," a dark, dusty gray-blue which will suit the room, but is ho-hum to work on. As I work, I've continued to listen to a book... 

Book Recommendations
Though it may look like I'm lying to you about these two titles (HA!), I assure you I'm not! It's totally coincidental that I selected two consecutive books with titles about lies. 

The Marriage Lie by Kimberly Belle is about happily-married Iris and Will who live in Atlanta. They're completely in love and ready to have a baby. Will leaves to catch a flight to Orlando where he's to be the keynote speaker at a conference. Iris, who's a high school counselor, receives the news that Will has been killed in a plane crash - a flight headed to Seattle! Grief-stricken and confused, she tries to understand why Will was going somewhere other than Orlando. With her brother accompanying her, she goes to Seattle only to discover the truth about Will's upbringing. Yet, she doesn't understand. When Will's boss tells Iris about missing money, her disbelief grows. Will is not the man she thought knew. He's been lying, and she will get answers to her questions. 

Linda's score: 4.0/5.0

With this second book I've read by author Heather Gudenkauf, I definitely have a new favorite author. Her stories are spellbinding, and I thoroughly enjoy that they take place in Iowa. The locales, especially as they include Iowa's sometimes harsh climate, feel completely familiar. Though Heather changes the names of cities, there's just enough familiarity with the state to imagine the characters in Iowa.

This is How I Lied takes place in Grotto, Iowa, in and near caves. Fifteen year-old best friends Eve and Maggie are each having personal guy problems. When Eve is murdered in a cave, Maggie's world nearly comes to an end. Except Maggie stays in Grotto. Now, 25 years later, she's is a detective on the Grotto police force,  where her dad was once chief of police and investigated Eve's death. The case has been reopened by the new police chief who believes that advances in DNA testing will identify the killer. But as Maggie is eager to take on the investigation, she's also dealing with her late-stage pregnancy, a dad with dementia, and Eve's younger sister Nola, who is not only crazy, but determined to pin her sister's murder on Eve's boyfriend. 

Linda's score: 4.0/5.0

Linda

7 comments:

  1. Didn't both quilters do a great job following your instructions? And I really love those cute postcards- so clever- and the backing on Dee's quilt. What a compliment to use your tutorials and share the results. I'm in a lull in the sewing room presently, too. One quilt top awaits backing, some small projects in the works. But I realized it's been a month since I made a blog post, so yes, a lull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the 2 book recommendations. I will have to check out 'This is how I Lied' and The Marriage Lie (Since I live in Seattle) AND most of all - thank you for the selvage quilt tutorial! I have been saving for years and now I know what to make out of them. I don't have as many as you - but I can start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are two wonderful makes from your tutorials. I love it when quilters share their versions of my patterns with me too. It's always very inspiring to see how designs look in different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be so nice to see what others make from your tutorials, and lovely for your readers to see as well. I've made several selvedge items over the years, bags, place mats, oven mitts and knitted two small mats as well. I dont actively collect t then now, but I still havent come to the bottom of my selvedge bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always so fun, and gratifying, to see what someone has made from a tutorial or pattern. I loved The Marriage Lie. I just finished Rock Paper Scissors--I read nearly straight through because I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of your quilts are fascinating designs! I’ve used selvedges a bit in quilting (RSC blocks mainly) and I’ve made one and almost finished a second knitted rugs with them. I’ll be checking out both. What a synchronicity-feeling post: I’ve been through Merritt a couple of times driving to Vancouver from Edmonton, and I ‘know’ Dee through the Postcard from Sweden QAL. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always nice when someone makes one of our designs and shares!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin