Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Eighth Anniversary

Eight years ago today we moved into our brand new home here in The Villages.

I blogged about the entire move:
It took us a while to understand Florida weather patterns which come from all directions, and accept that June/July are basically the rainy season. Still, we embrace the warm weather (don't miss snow, ice, or freezing temps even a bit) and love being able to go almost everywhere locally in our golf cart. 

Then, in spite of my knock-you-flat breast cancer diagnosis in February 2013 followed by the October 2013 diagnosis of severe peripheral artery disease (P.A.D.) in my legs, I've come through these conditions with appreciation for the skilled doctors and progressive medical technology. Both of us are more physically fit than ever, and other than Coronavirus changing our lives (everyone's lives!), we enjoy our favorite pastimes. Only being too-far from children and grand-children in Kansas and Texas makes me me second-guess moving here. 

From My She-Cave
You-all know what I think about spending time in my wonderful she-cave! I clock more hours in my sewing room than any other. Yay for a husband who cooks!

I'm really hesitant to show you the status of the improv quilt that's been on my design wall. I'm not at all satisfied with it. While I like the yellow X's and how they draw the eye around the quilt, the rest of it - particularly the center - looks like mush. It's now pieced together at 55" W X 53" L and definitely needs something more.  

I've auditioned several fabric colors, thinking to insert a huge X or other shape - triangle? - right through the middle of design. This Painter's Palette solid iris looks good, but I'm hesitant to take the next step.

In the past months I've made a few masks for friends and family, using the free pattern by Orange Dot Quilts. After my hair-stylist admired mine and asked for a black one like it, I made more. With Florida's cases of Coronavirus on the rise, quite honestly, I think we'll be wearing masks for months and months. The more masks we have to wash and wear, the easier it will be to have a clean one at the ready.

You can guess which three fabrics are mine. Yep, the tropical prints on the left. Hubs prefers this style mask (not smooth-fitting) and the 1/8"-wide elastic that he thinks is more comfortable than 1/4"-wide that I tried.

Last week, a long awaited parcel arrived from Riley Blake fabrics with 27 different prints/colors. These are a new collection called "Create," by Kristy Lea @quietplay in Australia. Bright colors and prints include hexagons, stripes, stars, diamonds, triangles, and bees with rainbow-colored wings! Fabrics will be available in the US in July; in Australia in August. 

Kristy invited me to be part of an upcoming blog hop, so I have until July 21 to complete my creation with fat eighths. I came up with a design using EQ8 and have begun cutting and sewing. More to come!

Interesting Tidbit
Though I'm not a rugby fan, Dan is. He records Australia and New Zealand matches and watches them at his leisure. He pointed out what the NRL (National Rugby League) has done in Australia, and I think it's genius! "Fan in the Stand" is an initiative at Westbank Stadium in Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia. Since, due to Coronavirus no one is permitted to attend a match in the 30,000-seat stadium, for $22 a fan can have a life-sized picture of themselves seated in the stands! I took this photo of our TV screen when players in the foreground allowed a close-up of the stands. Isn't it a clever concept? A fan is positioned in every other seat in the lower deck, and randomly positioned in single, double, triple and quadruple groups, presumably social-distancing, in the upper decks. As well, matches include crowd noises and music during breaks. All for the sake of the sport, right?  Read about it and see more pictures here

Book Reviews
I apologize for the odd formatting here! I am using New Blogger, and am unable to get it to format with the book picture on the left, and the text on the right - as it appearing (properly) in the second book review. It simply won't work here! Very frustrating. Google/Blogger continues to do an excellent job of attempting to push me away from blogging. Another complaint is that pictures are uploading, but then cannot be found to insert into this post! All I can see is pages of blue question marks. Ergh. WordPress is looking better and better!
After last week's story about a Jane Austen book club, I decided to listen to a Jane Austen title: Emma. While I'm glad to have read such a classic, I can't say I was enthralled with the slow-moving plot. Maybe it's because I knew what to expect, based on seeing the movie. Otherwise, I would have been somewhat lost. Maybe you'll be surprised when I say that it was difficult to understand the archaic language, the formality of conversations, innuendos that escaped my understanding, and even the occasional unfamiliar vocabulary word. "Approbation" was such a word, repeated often enough for me to gather the meaning based on the context. I'm glad I read it, but it certainly wasn't a compelling escapist-type book. I guess I prefer contemporary books. 

Linda's score: 3.0/5.0

Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris was the antidote to Emma. It's about a Depression-era newspaper photojournalist who begins to receive feature article assignments and recognition after taking a picture of two boys by a sign that advertises them for sale. Though the picture works to the journalist's advantage, the ramifications of the photo appearing in print haunt him. He becomes involved in finding two children who were sold - a compelling story that gives a glimpse into the hardships of life in those times and the challenges faced by those without resources or a voice. 

Linda's score: 4.2/5.0

Linda


17 comments:

  1. I remember watching your move...never dreaming at the time that we would be moving to Florida ourselves! Our eldest son got assigned to FSU in 2016--his last assignment in the Air Force (he really tried to get to Florida for his wife who is a native). Anyway, we moved to Florida in 2017 once they told us they wouldn't be moving again. We are one house away from our grandkids and it is so wonderful! I'm sorry you aren't closer to yours but I understand the weather difference (I am not a fan of the heat myself). I am a bit jealous of you being in The Villages, but have never regretted our decision to move! I enjoy your blog so much! P.S. Have you thought of appliqueing something on your modern quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you considered just adding a line or three of the yellow in the middle along one side of the blocks with the ladders in them to maybe highlight the middle bits so they are intentional rather than mushy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eight years? Time flies. You're woven right into the fabric of The Villages now. I like Leanne's thought above about more yellow crosses rather than introducing the purple. I like the color combo you have going on already. Someone else suggest applique, which is also a thought. But this one seems all about piecing. Fan in the Stand- novel and clever idea. Keeps everyone engaged a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure when I found your blog but were already in Florida and I learned of your cancer long after your recovery. Glad you are doing well now! About the inprov quilt, what if you explored the ladder shape and off setting it to the right? I see Leanne mentioned that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy reading your blog and book recommendations. I have a very good friend that lives on Ashwood Run in The Villages.survivor972002@midco.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Ann! Your profile is set to “no reply commenter,” so I can’t email you a response. Thanks for your compliments about my blog and book reviews. I’m glad you enjoy them! I’m also happy you have a friend who lives here, in our community of 112,000 people. I won’t be emailing her, and I doubt she would like knowing her email address was made public.

      Delete
  6. Glad you survived the events of the last 8 years, otherwise we wouldn't get to see all the lovely quilts you make. I don't do improv but Leeannes suggestion might be worth a try. From what we hear, Florida is really bad with the virus at the moment. Stay safe Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wooo what a story.
    I am so happy you are enjoying Florida.
    All of your projects are always inspiring and fun
    Have a fun rest of the week, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy House-a-versary, Linda! Thanks for the mask link. It's the same mask I've been making, but the construction is a little different. Regarding your Improv Challenge... I think it looks great! I can see why you might be hesitant to put your purple plan into action. To me, the center is only lacking a little something in a bolder yellow. Good luck with figuring out what the quilt really wants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers that all those difficult times are behind you. I'm impressed that you were able to let go of so much before moving. During these last couple of months I've been purging all around the house with thoughts that when we move it won't be such a mess. No plans to move any time soon and I'm realizing I have an incredibly long way to go. I agree with one of the commenters that maybe a larger piece of yellow is what you need for the improv composition. It's like the yellow is trying to break free from the aquas but just can't quite manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was going to suggest putting something through the middle, I thought yellow but I like your choice much better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! It’s hard to believe it’s been so long, yet it feels like you’ve always been there. Good luck deciding just what your pretty, improv piece needs! I know whatever you choose will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was thinking I loved the Iris-color fabric, but whatever Anne says is where I go. She has a brilliant color sense, so maybe go that direction? I read through your list of everything you’ve gone through in eight years, and now I have to go and take a nap. Oh, my, goodness! Glad that your faith sustained you through all those hardships and has rewarded you with His love and peace. I wish you another happy eight years of sewing your heart out in your wonderful sewing studio!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll put my 2 cents in, I think you need some more contrast either by using some of the really dark blue to make a larger cross or some of the yellow. I'm not convinced that the solid Iris will have the desired impact as you haven't used it anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to see what you do with that chunk of Create! And my sympathy for your Blogger woes. I just encountered the same problem justifying a picture (I wanted it centered and Blogger kept left-justifying it). I deleted the picture and then started the process of inserting it all over again and was successful. I have not had the issue of the blue question marks, though. ARG!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're looking forward to someday moving out of NY to a warmer climate but probably not to Florida. I recently learned about the Create line and am pondering getting some for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you found your new home here in The Villages. Your quilts are such an inspiration! Can’t wait to see what you do with the improv quilt. I know it will be just right.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin