Thursday, February 20, 2020

Another Cross-body Bag

I like my orange-and-cork Zippy Crossbody bag (pattern by Sallie Tomato) so much, I wanted another one in aqua. It seems I wear aqua more often than orange, so it was the best color choice.

You can see how much I like aqua. Pics were taken in my sewing room, in my aqua chair.

Aqua cork, purchased during QuiltCon 2019 in Nashville, looks good with Christa Watson's "Fandangle" fabric by Benartex. If you're really observant, you'll have noticed that my orange crossbody bag is also made with Fandangle, in the orange colorway.

Two zippers are on the front side, and one is on top.

On the back is another zipper, and my addition of an ID badge pocket.

Every wristlet, tote or bag I make gets the added feature of an interior zipper pocket. I follow this Easy Zippered Pocket Tutorial by VanillaJoy. That pocket is such a good place for keeping important items secure.

I mustn't neglect to thank Dan for his help!

I discovered I was out of D-rings (two are needed for each side of the bag), and he drove the golf cart 16 miles (round trip!) to JoAnn Fabrics (!) to buy two swivel-clasp/D-ring sets for me. And as long as he was there, bought three yards of Pellon SF101! What a champ to do that so I could keep sewing! Though I'm not sure how much sacrifice it was for him to take a leisurely drive on a beautiful day, while enjoying a cigar!

I'm not in the business of making items to sell. For me, it's no fun making things over and over and over and earning a pittance for it. But when a line dance class acquaintance asked if I'd turn a bag of MandMs into a zipper pouch for her military daughter stationed in Afghanistan, I agreed. I'm still saving bags, mostly coffee bags, to make more. They're such nice gifts. If you haven't yet made any of these, here's a good YouTube video to watch.

My latest audiobook listen is Sixteen Brides by Stephanie Grace Whitson. The story takes place shortly after the Civil War and follows 16 women who sign up to travel from St. Louis to Coyote, Nebraska expecting to leave their pasts behind, and acquire homestead land. Unaware, until they arrive in Plum Creek, that they've been duped, the pluckiest among them make alternate plans. In the process each acknowledges her own innocence (in certain matters), and develop the spirit, backbone and fortitude needed to make their way in an untamed land.

Each chapter begins with a pertinent Bible verse and the plot is liberally sprinkled with faith references to their faith. I find that a refreshing change from the hard language in more trendy novels. The narrator, Ruth Ann Phimister, gives a nice read, but it's apparent she's unfamiliar with farm terminology. Several times she read "hay mow" literally - like "mow the lawn" - rather than the proper pronunciation of "hay MAU" as rhymes with cow. Missed details like that drive me nuts!

Linda's score: 4.0/5.0

Linda

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm so happy I was able to see you and chat at QuiltCon! Thanks for making cool stuff with my fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute - and functional! - bag. I need to check out the inside zipper pocket tutorial. Also yay! For Dan going above and beyond. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin