Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Six Days Away

If you noticed that I haven't posted for more than a week, you're right! I found myself unexpectedly needing and wanting to travel to Kansas City. I flew on a direct flight from Tampa to Kansas City into the cold of winter! I wouldn't usually consider going to KC during this time of year, but my dad had a pacemaker implanted, and was in a rehabilitation hospital for two weeks. I went to assist as I could.

Doesn't the Midwest look dreary from the air? Note the shadow that our Southwest Airlines plane made on the snow as we were approaching Kansas City.

Except for several cold mornings (like in the 20s) and having to drive in some wet snow flurries on Monday, I was glad to spend six days with family. I stayed with our daughter, SIL and grandsons Tay and Aesa, and each day I visited dad to keep him company and monitor him through speech, occupational, and physical therapies.

This dreary daytime picture was taken from the physical therapy room. Those are herons hunkered on the branches. I'd forgotten how depressing winter can be in the Midwest without sunshine.

Though I took my camera along, I ended up not taking a single picture with it! My KC photos were taken on my old iPhone 5.

I did get a chance to have a two-hour coffee time catch-up with quilter-friend Carla (formerly a blogger at Lollyquiltz, now @lollyquiltz on Instagram). Carla is one of those special friends with whom I can resume conversation a year later as if there's been no break in between. I'm sure you all have at least one friend like that. I'm blessed to have several.

These EPP medallions are the extent of my quilting productivity during my time away. That's almost four medallions done of the 40 medallions needed to complete my LindaNova quilt. Ha! Yes, I have a way to go. At least all of them are prepped and ready to piece.

I always like to worship in Kansas City. The beauty and spirit-filled service at Methodist Church of the Resurrection (the largest Methodist church congregation in the US) never fails to stir my spirit.

Pastor Adam Hamilton is a dynamic preacher, and in his current sermon series, "Christianity and World Religions", each week he is sharing similarities and differences between different religions. This is a wonderful way to reexamine one's own beliefs. I plan to listen to them online. 

Since arriving home at 8:30 Wednesday evening, things are hoppin' again! In the next two days are two doc appointments, line dancing, Ukulele Players Club (I'm leading the song When Will I Be Loved), and Bible study where we're on week four of Kelly Minter's study of Nehemiah - one of my all-time favorite books. 

Friday is... well. Friday is a special day. If you're guessing that January 26 is Australia Day, you're certainly correct. But Friday is also a special anniversary for me. I'll be celebrating nine years of blogging! Let me tell you now that if you're a smart cookie, you'll check back on Friday.

I'm just sayin'... Linda 

8 comments:

  1. So good that you were able to be with your dad, I'm sure that lifted his spirits greatly. And a bonus for you, spending time with those grandsons and your quilting friend. Congratulations on your soon-to-be blogging anniversary! I wonder if we'll still be blogging nine years from now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you had to travel tthe desolate north!!! Hope your Dad is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you could be with family for a bit...hope dad is doing ok!! Good luck getting back in the swing of things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did wonder where you were. I am glad you could come go to KC to be with your dad and family. Your presence there was good medicine for him. Hope he is doing better. Congrats on your upcoming blogiversity. I had one this year too but forgot to mention of it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A reminder of why we moved to Florida- that winter gray is lacks appeal. Glad you could be there for your Dad though, and hope that he will improve. I guess you were unable to be at home for the Marketplace event? I did not go this year. Nine years blogging- wow. I'm not sure how long I've been- need to check.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty used to the sun here in SoCal, so I'm sure I would have noticed the grey days, too. Hope that your Dad is okay--good for you for heading out there to care for him. I hope you were able to sneak in some grandchildren time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, the great gray dome. Sun and blue skies, even when it might be cold is just one of the reasons I love Colorado over the midwest. But spending time with family when it matters most are more important than weather any day. Glad you could be with you dad. Glad you're back in the sunny state and back to all the things you love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda! I feel very special that you find and take the time to spend a few hours catching up with me whenever you visit. You are right that we always just jump in right where we left off! Hope your appointments go well. Enjoy that sunshine!
    Blessings.


    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin