Thursday, November 26, 2015

Being Thankful

Since being back from Kansas City, I've managed several hours of Santa-sewing, and made progress on some WIPs (works in progress). So on Thanksgiving Day, I'm starting my thankfulness with these.

My Small World, a project made in six vertical sections, is coming along. On the left is my just-completed section four. Since I decided to personalize my small world to Florida, I replaced the pattern's embroidered Eiffel Tower and Harbour Bridge/Sydney Opera House with my embroidered palm and golf cart.

To get an idea of the size... each of those squares at the top is 1" x 1" (finished).

The MSW pattern, a Jen Kingwell design, was originally published in the Spring issue of QuiltMania magazine, and is now available as a stand-alone pattern. It's a fun design to sew because every quilter can personalize it. My Australian friend, Di, made an adorable I-Spy version for her new granddaughter, and friend Cindy who lives in California made a Disney version. After seeing their finishes, you can see I'm way behind. But, I'm having fun "Floridizing" mine.

Progress on my tuffet... All eight sections have been foundation strip-pieced and joined, and now it's ready to be put together with foam and upholstery batting, and attached to an 18" diameter wood base.

I even covered the 2-1/2" diameter button in anticipation of a finish.  

I also did a little foundation paper piecing. These are part of a block - a long-term project.

Since purchasing several garment fabrics at Modern Makers in Kansas City, clothes-sewing is back on the agenda. Here's my latest knit top, made with an Amy Butler print, and a Kwik Sew pattern. Just one yard of fabric needed, and easy-peasy to whip together on my serger. 

Shorts are next. I wear them so often that they become faded from washing. I seem to go through them faster than most people. 

With all the garment sewing I've been doing, I've wanted to have pattern weights to make cutting-out faster. I've found tutorials for making several different types of weights. I chose to go with washers. They're a good weight when two are put together, but they need to be covered because the edges are rough metal. I chose to go with 2" diameter washers wrapped with leftover pieces of grosgrain ribbon. Happily, I've saved the fabric manufacturer's ties from fat quarter bundles, and those are proving perfect for wrapping weights. And don't I feel frugal!

Thought you might like to see this great white egret that wandered across our front yard yesterday.

Past Thanksgivings have been all about family and food. This year is different since there's no family around to share it with.

What isn't different is that I have much for which to be thankful. Foremost in my mind is my family - my Dad and siblings, my children, their spouses, and our five grandchildren. Second, I'm feeling extra grateful for doctors and the technology of modern medicine. And drugs that "fix things." A couple weeks ago I was diagnosed by my cardio-vascular doctor with another new concern: pulmonary hypertension. Monday will find me having a "right heart catheterization" to determine what type I have, and what drug options might be available to treat it. In God's Word, I'm finding many reassurances that alleviate my worries about this.

If you're like me, you'll be avoiding Black Friday crowds and looking for deals via computer. If you haven't yet checked out the great sewing and quilting-related deals on MassDrop, you must! Then, you'll love me... or hate me for introducing you to MassDrop.

And speaking of shopping, are any of you as smitten with the Blueberry Park collection as I am? Seventy-five prints in that group! Does that seem excessive? And there still aren't enough hours in the day to sew all of them. (Sigh.) Linda 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, it is so great to see what you are doing. And I hope that your medicine Problem will soon be solved.
    Edith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the updates on your projects. Prayers are with you for your procedure on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see all your WIPs as well as you finished ones. The new top suits you very well and no doubt is wonderful to wear. I can't belief that you are dealing with a new medical problem. It seems you eat right and you take enough exercise and you don't have too much stress (I'm assuming) how is that even possible? Best of luck with the procedure! I know you will be fine as you have a "mighty ally" on your side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers for the best possible outcome on that test ......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was trying to keep away from Massdrop! Now you've lured me back! The Australian dollar has dropped so the prices are not so attractive, but there's no harm in looking, is there? Praying for a positive outcome following Monday's procedure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am quite smitten with your small world creation and all your other projects. Shipping to Canada is so outrageous, I've even avoided shopping online. I'll stock up while I'm in the states for the winter. Love Robert Kaufmans new collection! Thanks for the heads up. I'll be looking out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda! A belated Happy Thanksgiving to you. Your projects are always so cute. Happy sewing ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you had a nice Thanksgiving Linda! Great projects as usual going on and those pattern weights are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful projects. I love your Florida version of MSW! Hope you got good news from the heart procedure.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin