Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Those Ruby Slippers... Not!

Ruby slippers? Like Dorothy's shimmery heels that took her back to Kansas? Well, not quite.

When Jenny's blog post suggested a June challenge using denim jeans, I let her know to count me in. I could accomplish two things at once: 1) Make something I intended to make anyway, and, 2) "upcycle" (the correct "green" term) something already worn out.

The something I intended to make is slippers.
The something to upcycle that was already worn out was denim jeans.


In the current issue of Australian Homespun magazine (No. 83) is a pattern for "Ricrac Rose Slippers." To make a customed-size pair of slippers for myself, I began by placing my foot on the sole pattern provided and re-drawing the shape to fit my foot. Then I made plastic templates and cut out two slipper shapes: the sole and the upper. The outside of the slippers are the denim; the inside is the floral print.
Using a size #80 denim needle in my Bernina, I sewed through multiple layers of fabric and Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batting. After they were sewn, I had difficulties turning each slipper right side out. So much batting and denim together are bulky, and took a bit of wrestling!

But the effort was worth it. After hand-sewing the instep opening closed, and adding a ricrac and button flower I took these pictures. The top two photos are those of the slippers that appear in the magazine. Photos at the bottom are ones I took of my denim slippers.
While mine aren't nearly as femininely pretty and delicate-looking, and are certainly not presentable for public viewing, I'm pleased with them for wearing around the house. They'll be perfect footware in my basement sewing room where it can be on the cool side, even on a hot, sunny day. The denim should also hold up well to occasional machine-washing.
Now that I have a good fit on the pattern, it will be relatively easy to make another pair. Or maybe next time I'll make these cute denim slippers.

17 comments:

  1. Great idea Linda, you will look very cool in those unique slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty - I need to make a pair of my own!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a slipper pattern for several years now, but never made them. I need to get crackin! Yours are quite cute and stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your slippers, and if I could figure out what to put on the bottom to make them outside shoes I would wear them in public. Would truely dress up my blue jean apparel. Fantastic Job. Would love to see a tutorial on just what you did to size them for you. Thanks for another great blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you mean no presentable for public viewing?! They are WONDERFUL! What cute idea. I like the ones you made better than the ones in the mag. Of course, I love red and blue together! Very stylish, cute, recycled, and handmade. What could be better?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your slippers and think that they are very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They turned out so well! Maybe I'll give the pattern a try one day ... maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new slippers. Will be looking for the magazine now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness you are clever! They are gorgeous. Certainly worthy of public wear but they would get ruined. Wonder if I have that edition of the mag now?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your slippers, they are just gorgeous! I'd be more than happy to be seen wearing them in public....I have that particular page in the magazine tagged for future, and you have encouraged me to think of them in the short term!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The slippers look fantastic...what a clever girl you are...Khris

    ReplyDelete
  12. My slippers are falling apart due to all the wonderful rain we have here. I tend to walk to the mail box or let the dogs out while still in slippers. Will need a personal lesson from Linda before he snow falls.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think they are darling!!! Hmmmm...wonder if I can find a copy of that magazine around my little corner of Washington...heaven knows I have plenty of outgrown jeans hanging around!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look like a perfect fit, ever bit as cute as the magazine! I'm glad to read of your family's return, too, more opportunity to grab both of those precious kids up!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda I really love your slippers and I have such a big pile of old jeans......

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Linda,
    We spotted your cute denim slippers on your blog and wondered if you'd like to share them in our Readers' Showcase pages, space permitting.
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Newton
    Deputy Editor, Homespun

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin