Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Then and Now

Can you find me? And my husband of just one year? This picture was taken in 1973, at the wedding of our then-Mason City, Iowa friends, Patty and Greg. (I'm on the far left.)

Here we are, two days ago at the Arnold Palmer Legends restaurant. "Just" 42 years later, looking pretty much the same... ha! Well, maybe not the same on the outside, but feeling the same on the inside. Patty and Greg visited us for five days from their Texas home. Though we only recently reconnected (in February, while in Austin for QuiltCon), the intervening years haven't diminished the wonderful friendship we share. We had a fabulous time together. Who doesn't like a good game of Mexican Train dominoes, even when someone has to be the loser (ahem, like me). 

Patty says she still has a close relationship with all three of us who were her bridesmaids. How many brides can say that? I sure can't!

Patty return home with two of my quilts which were made years ago. They're well-suited to her decorating preferences.
10-1/2" X 14-1/2", foundation paper-pieced
36" X 36", hand-quilted
These once hung in my West Des Moines home - the then - so those who know me can see how my tastes have changed.

In the now... my Pfaff is back in action as I'm steadily making quilting progress on "Prism." I'm still smitten by the effect of double batting - Quilter's Dream cotton, and Quilter's Dream Wool. Such good dimension and texture!

I'm challenging myself to come up with different designs for the long-legged stars, and the elongated diamonds, with the cohesive uniformity of angled lines. Yes, you can see a bit of blue wash-out marker there, and I'm also using a disappearing ink, purple marker.

Top thread is Aurifil 50-weight in a very pale yellow. On the bottom is 60-weight white YLI thread. The design below was inspired by one seen on Instagram, by Dena of LivingWaterQuilter who is a beautiful domestic machine quilter.

Coming up with different designs is becoming more challenging. On the nightstand beside me while I sleep is a pad of paper and pencil.

Inspiration usually strikes at about 3:30 a.m. I honestly wouldn't mind more of those strikes! Linda

12 comments:

  1. You are just as cute now as you were then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! on the quilting, Linda. It is gorgeous, I must say. I picked you out immediately because of your radiant smile, which hasn't changed a bit in the past years. My sister had floppy hats like those for her wedding (I was a bridesmaid) so it's fun to look at that picture and think about her wedding.
    Have fun quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! And so nice to share a couple of your quilts!
    And this is random, but as I'm typing, I see my blog name in the side bar - I live in WA, not OR... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fun to see the photos from now/then! I still am in contact with half my bridesmaids, my cousin and a sil. But I have a new husband too....lol. Your quilting is just so cool Linda, interesting and full of life, like you. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  5. what fun to catch up with dear friends !! LOVE your quilting - so wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilting as always! Two of my school friends have been my bridesmaids TWICE, 25 years apart! I promised never to ask them again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you- in 1973 AND your amazing quilting! Lovely to see you from back then! It brings back memories of my own, when I was a bridesmaid for a friend, in a similar dress and hat! And how great to pass on two quilts that suit someone else and they can now enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those dresses are so 70's!!! You are all looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved looking at these old photos of us as kids! I am thankful for our 42+ years of friendship. Your gift of quilts was so generous and they look so at home here in Texas. Please come visit them often Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The wedding photo looks just about like mine. The girls wore the floppy hats and their dresses were lavender. The men had the same suits , And my dress had the high neckline with long sheer sleeves. Wow does it ring back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved seeing the wedding photos - reminded of a wedding I was in. :) Your quilting continues to amaze.... blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful to have such old dear friends. Also fun to see your previous style and todays. We all have that I think one way or another. My older work is still rather colorful, but with more traditional fabrics. Lots of real fruit and veggies prints and realistic florals. Your quilting is marvelous as usual Linda. You are quite the master.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin