Tabs

▼

Thursday, September 24, 2026

Playing Well With Others

It's been a busy week.

Last Saturday, not only did Central Florida MQG hold its monthly Sew-In, but members of the local 4-H Club joined us. 

During our lunch break "Sew and Learn," CFMQG members discussed various types of appliqué found in modern quilts. 

One of our members taught the kids how to use iron-on fusible to make fabric collages. You might see some unique-looking pumpkins among their projects.



Another member taught the kids to make ice cream sundae-looking pin cushions. They're made with felt gathered around a dryer ball, with a layer of chenille - like an old bedspread - gathered over that. 

The covered ball was hot-glued (handled only by an adult) to a small glass canning jar and topped with "sprinkles" (beaded straight pins) and a cherry (artificial). Everyone liked clinking glasses and saying, "Cheers!"

Over and over... "Cheers!"

On Wednesday I led a "Member-2-Member" domestic machine quilting workshop for my local guild, Quilting Guild of The Villages. These quilters, from several different chapters, brought their best sewing machines (many of them are heavy!) and a positive attitude to learn walking foot and free motion quilting. Of 17 students, would you believe 11 of them were quilting on Berninas!?

I assured them I'd "make them famous" on my blog if they posed for a picture. Thanks quilters! It was delightful spending the day with you!

And just to show that I haven't been too lazy, I'm knitting dishcloths in between quilting the quilt made with my Dad's plaid sport shirts. 

I have one more picture I simply have to share.

While power walking on Monday, I had to stop to believe what I was seeing. In front of a home were two life-sized sandhill crane statues, sculptures? And two REAL sandhill cranes had stopped to check out their stationary friends! Can you tell them apart?!
L-R Sandhill cranes: real, sculpture, real, sculpture

Don't you wonder what the real ones were thinking? Linda

7 comments:

  1. Cute crocheted top you're wearing, Linda! Those pin cushions are adorable. Funny story about so many cheers--they must've been very happy! And yes, I totally believe 11 out of 17 had Berninas. Although I wonder why the other 6 don't have Berninas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, tell those ladies they are famous, their picture has traveled right around the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day for all! The pincushions are super cute! I think the cranes are checking out why the sculptured ones decided to hang in that location!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a very fun day! I particularly like the photo of the cranes together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great uplifting post and full of fun things. I would even like to learn how to make a sundae pincushion! What a stitch with those cranes. I wondered if they tried communicating in crane language with the stationary ones. Lol
    Dar in Mo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks you had lots of fun during your busy week. I’m sure the children had fun and learned a lot. OMG, the cranes, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sandhill crane picture! And the sew-in looks like fun! Isn't it funny how the "plays well with others" rating from our school days has stayed around as a catch phrase...

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!