Tabs

Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Yellow Burst to "Ignite"

I appreciate comments from those of you who weighed-in about the challenges I've faced with my yellow burst quilt top.

Since my last post, I finished hand-appliquéing along one side of the bias tape, so it's affixed to the perimeter of the design. What do you think? 

As you can see, I still need to hand sewn down points of those rays. But I like the contrast between the bias edge and banana-colored background.

Better, yes? 

I also think the quilt top looks better in these pictures because I snapped them with my Canon SX620 point-and-shoot camera. The two-lense camera on my IPhone 14 doesn't capture color very well.

The quilt top is approximately 65" square. 

I've still gotta piece a backing and will used stashed yellow prints for that. Also, in my batting stash I found a piece of Quilter's Dream Puff that I plan to use in the quilt sandwich, perhaps only in the center part, depending on how much batting I have. 

Now I'm feeling re-energized about this project. "Ignited" so to speak. From boring and tedious "yellow burst" to Ignite. Does that sound good? Linda

8 comments:

  1. Much better! It is so much easier to see the definition of the edge as well as it is easier for my eye to see the values within the burst. Ignite is the perfect name for your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, it provides the definition needed to separate the center from the background. Ignite couldn’t be more perfect! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very striking. Loving the explosive effect from a distance. Yes, I find my phone camera doesn't take the best pics either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ta-Da! Those creative solutions to challenging situations bring out the best results! Ignite is an absolutely perfect name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So vibrant with the bias! Now your yellow star (I see a star since the beginning more than a sun) is full of life! Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great accent this is! Lots more work? Oh yes, but it really is the ticket. I love how resourceful and creative quilters are with problem solving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I'd say it's bursting with energy with the added bias tape outline, Linda!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you pivoted when it wasn't working, how inspiring. I'm excited to see what you select as a backing and how you quilt the negative space. Maybe fireworks or planets?

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!