Monday, May 21, 2018

Cookie-Worthy News!

I'm beside myself with joy... relief... disbelief. This morning, at my oncology visit, I heard the news I hoped for. Actually, I didn't really believe would happen.

This is the result of the Breast Cancer Index, conducted in April on the tissue removed during my lumpectomy in March, 2013.

The left side of the report indicates the chance I have of breast cancer recurrence - 2.8%.
The right side indicates what benefit there might be in remaining on Arimidex - low.

Oh my goodness! All morning I have been alternating between squeals of joy, and happy tears. 

I didn't even have to take Arimidex this morning - yay, yay, yay! I was told that as the drug leaves my system over the next ten days, I'll have fewer and fewer hot flashes. More yays! 

This news could NOT have been any better. 

I was told about a woman who, just last week, received the news that her type of breast cancer has a high risk of returning, and that the benefit of remaining on the breast cancer drug is low. How would that news make you feel? I can't imagine. 

So I am clinging to the relief I'm feeling about this positive outcome, singing worship songs of praise, and praying sincere thanks to God. I am blessed!

As thanks for everyone's care, interest, and happiness for me, I've been baking!

I wish you could smell and taste these Strawberry Yogurt Cookies - moist, cake-like, and lightly crispy on the bottom. 

This is what more than 13 dozen of them look like - a double batch. 

If you see me this week, be sure to have some. I'll be taking them to friends and neighbors. And no, I'm not eating any... that diet, you know. And now I have even more motivation to stick with it. I won't be fighting the side effect of Arimidex!

In case you aren't familiar with Strawberry Yogurt Cookies (I cannot find a recipe for them on the Internet), I'm sharing the recipe. They're a family favorite and I'm often asked for the recipe.

Strawberry Yogurt Cookies
2 eggs
1-1/2 cup sugar
1 cup shortening (Crisco)
1 cup strawberry yogurt (almost 2 cartons)
1 tsp. strawberry extract
3-1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. Add yogurt and flavoring; mix well. Stir in flour, baking powder, soda and salt; blend well. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350-degree for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Makes about 72 cookies.

I've made these cookies dozens of times, and always say I'm gonna try some other yogurt flavor... and I never do. The strawberry flavor is yummy enough, though they don't look strawberry-ish. Sometimes I add red food coloring, but didn't have any on hand.

The recipe is on my Google drive. Access it here for easy printing. 

Enjoy these cookies! Be happy with me as you eat them! Thank you so much! God is good! Linda

18 comments:

  1. Linda, this is totally cookie worthy news and wonderful news and thrilling news. Yay no more stupid drugs. I know you were hating the side effects.
    I am thrilled to pieces and I will be having a few cookies in celebration as well
    Love, Rosemary😇

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news and prayers answered! It must be a wonderful feeling after all the worrying and also having to live with uncertainty for so long (not to speak of the physical side effects). Modern medicine is a marvel, don't you think. xx
    PS: your cookie recipe sounds yummy; I don't know if strawberry extract is available here though. I can always substitute with lemon extract, can't I, or even vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great news, no wonder you are jumping for joy! I take the same pill myself (breast cancer 2 years ago) but have not experienced the side effects that you have, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful news Linda! In fact I woke up thinking of you this morning and was greeted with the great news as the first picture on my IG feed! While we bemoan the way IG now works, it knew I was thinking of you today!!!!! Enjoy those cookies- you deserve them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you Linda. It must be terrible having something like that hanging over you. I feel so privileged that so far in my life I have missed that bullet. Thank God!

    Yay no more hot flashes for you!! Actually we call them hot flushes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, and triple yay for you!!! That is just the best possible news! And I think you will celebrate every day for the rest of your life! Those strawberry yogurt cookies sound great - I'll need to see if I can find strawberry extract anywhere in these parts. May have to wait til we get to the city before I can make them, but I know our quilt ministry group will love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm SO SO pleased for you!!! So much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Yes, HE is! All the time. And even when things don't go well. I am fully aware of that, but He's still my God. (Sorry I couldn't reply via email. You're a "no-reply commenter."

      Delete
  9. I'm so very happy for you to get such good news. Thank you for the cookie recipe, it sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such wonderful news Linda. Definitely time for celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm home now, and able to write a proper hallelujah note. This is such wonderful news for you, and I'm glad to see that you are baking to share (which is what I do a lot of), as these cookies will be a gift of happiness from your heart. I am so happy you reached this milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WaHoo!!! So so happy for your good news. Thanks for the recipe too. They sound yummy. Have you ever made them with another flavor of yogurt like raspberry or simply with vanilla?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Time for a happy dance. This is fabulous news!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, cookie worthy indeed! So glad for you. These cookies look almost scone-like. Will try them- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful comforting news!!! Prayers answered. And I must try out those cookies, thank you so much for the recipe!!! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your most welcome health news. Awesome! And those cookies sound wonderful. I'm off to print the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. PTL, that's wonderful news, Linda! I've saved the recipe to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin