Monday, November 23, 2015

Family Weeks

First, let me say a huge thank you all of you who commented on my last blog post. Gosh, you overwhelmed Lyn, my daughter-in-law and guest-blogger, with your encouraging comments. She emailed to say how nice all the comments were. I know what great friends I have in the blogosphere. Hugs for every one of you!

Second. Today I want to share pictures of our daughter's family. Many of you remember when I visited our first-born grandson in Australia, and have followed these children as they've grown up.

Now our daughter lives in Kansas City. From November 5-18, that's where I was. It's always a good time visiting my grandchildren, and this time I was needed. While dad works in Chicago every week, and mom attended a business conference in Orlando (yes, we swapped states!), I minded the kids. Oh my, but they are changing.

Celina will be 17 years-old in a couple weeks, and her school schedule is such (spent almost entirely on homework) that for the most part, I saw her only coming and going. But, I arrived the day before Aesa, the youngest, turned five years old.

He was a happy birthday boy, and I had the fun of spending his special day with him. I picked him up early from daycare/preschool, and after a lunch out together (he selected a chocolate chip pancake from the menu), we spent the afternoon playing games: Candyland, Connect Four, Battleship, Jenga, and Junior Monopoly. Yes, we had a high 'ole time!

Once I arrived in Kansas City, I didn't waste any time reconnecting with my close friend, Carla. We met through our blogs in about 2010, and hit it off immediately. She recently relocated in the area, so I got to see her lovely new home. Now she lives so close to my daughter that it's even easier for us to get together! Such a lovely, dear, Christian friend.

And wasn't she sweet to make lunch for us?!

Another day we got together to visit Modern Makers. (On Instagram, @KCModernMakers) Elizabeth, the shop owner, has a yummy assortment of fabrics - not just quilting cottons. Knit, double gauze, denim, and chambray are just a few of the fabrics that came home with me. Clothes-sewing is in my future.

I connected with my sister. too We filled up her work lunch hour at Ya Ya's restaurant with lots of family chatter.

On Thursday, I was the scheduled "mystery reader" to my grandson's - Tay - kindergarten class. I made the most of the book I selected by donning a floppy sunhat and sunglasses, and sporting a beach towel.


This book was a fun read not only because it was so appropriate, but because it's written in rhyme, one of my favorite ways to turn a phrase. It's probably meant for a second or third-grade reading level, but it was still a good read.

Note the Kansas City Royals poster in the background. You couldn't miss the Royals hype that was still evident throughout Kansas City, following their Baseball World Series Championship win over the New York Mets. I'm not even a sports fan, but I've been terribly happy for all the Royals fans!

Though I flew to Kansas City, Dan joined me a week later by car, bringing Hogan with him. Hogan and Milson reconnected nicely, though it's evident that our Hogan, who is 12 years old now, is the senior member of this team. He's so laid back compared to Milson who isn't even one year old.

Several sunny, blue skies days made 60-something degrees feel warm. And there were still some pretty colored leaves on the trees too.

This is probably my favorite picture of our visit. Tay and Aesa had fallen asleep on the sofa Sunday afternoon. They were awakened to eat dinner, a scrumptious meal of outdoor smoker-smoked chicken, scalloped corn, and broccoli drizzled with cheese sauce.... and these are the reactions of those boys. Guess they didn't like the menu!

Kindergarten isn't what it used to be when we were young. In fact, kindergarten wasn't even an option when I started school. The school I attended in Ohio didn't offer it! We are quickly learning that what kids are learning in kindergarten now is what we learned in first grade. Nightly homework is a huge part of the curriculum... and it makes us sad. The kids' carefree childhood years have been shortened.

At one time or another, everyone pitched in to help Tay with his homework. Counting by one, twos, and tens are expected. And the reading that's required... well let me just say that his books make "Dick, Jane, and Sally" and "Go, Spot go!" look as easy as pie!

Now that the baseball season is over, our daughter Jill is sporting her allegiance to the Kansas City Chiefs football team.

Maher and Jill love their little Milson, whose favorite place is at the top of the sofa, resting on your shoulders!

Aesa and Hogan
I was also happy to get to see my dad a couple times. One of our visits was at his local McDonald's where he and his "coffee-drinking buddies" still meet every day to solve the problems of the world, and what's happening at their church.

By the last day of my visit, Kansas City was looking pretty gloomy. This weather - overcast, drizzly, and in the 40s - is precisely the kind of fall weather we left behind in Iowa... on purpose!

Apparently it was time to return to Florida.
From "My Grandma Lives in Florida" by Ed Shankman
Yes, it is! Linda

16 comments:

  1. What a jam-packed and fun trip. Homework in kindergarten?? Good heavens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update on the Kansas City branch of the family. The picture of the boys at dinner is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your special time with us! I can imagine you came 'home' to have a rest! It does make me a bit sad seeing little boys slaving away on homework at such a young way. It seems we turn them off learning with this strict regime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fun post! We are now in KC just about 1 mi from your kids house. Our oldest granddaughter is off work this week so we got to have a fun lunch at Cheesecake Factory with only her...no sibs! It's been about 20 yrs since that's happened! all kids are so cute but I especially loved that dinner photo of the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful account of your special time with family and how fortunate your daughter is that you are able to help out at such times. Wishing you and yours a Blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful account of your special time with family and how fortunate your daughter is that you are able to help out at such times. Wishing you and yours a Blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You packed a lot into this visit but the four generations with dogs is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Linda what a lot you've been doing. I bet you came home to have a rest! Is your sister your twin? You are very alike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was the most fun post I've read this week. Looks like you had a wonderful time with the kids and family. Nice to know you were in KC when the weather was still nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems you had a lovely time with your family. I too think it's crazy how early kids nowadays have to start with formal schooling. Why teach kids something they are not completely ready for when in a year or so later they grasp it without any problems and in very short time. Puts them off learning for life I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you had a lovely visit and how fun to meet up with Carla! Oh my homework in kindergarten? Things sure have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you could go. It looks like a fun filled trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a fabulous time!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great to see all the grandies. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun to spend your time with the grands and friends and even some family. Now you are back in sunny Florida and sewing again?

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin