Thursday, September 25, 2014

Away and Back

Being away from home for a week, on the heels of having company for a week, hasn't left time for sewing, let alone composing a blog post. So this post is mostly about my week in Kansas City, visiting our daughter and her family, and making a one-day trip to Iowa for a family wedding.  

In KC, not only did I get to spend time with my grandchildren, but I spent much of one day with my dear friend, Carla. Did you know we met through our blogs? She's Lollyquiltz. But now, after admiring the be autiful quilts and children's clothes she sews, and getting to know her well, I can't imagine not being friends. No trip to KC is complete without seeing her! 

We went to Modern Maker's a new quilt shop on West 12th Street, on the second floor of an old warehouse. Of course, we found fabrics to buy! I bought voile so I can make a couple tops using Jennifer Paganelli's new Sis Boom tank pattern, Tortola

And I spent time with family. As wonderful as it is to spend time with these two, it's impossible to get a decent picture of them. They're always on the move!

Tay, on the left, will be five years old on Sunday; Aesa will be four years old in November. 

Taking them out and about as I did, on several occasions - for breakfast, to Monkey Business, bowling, McDonalds, and the new Prairiefire Natural History Museum - I learned how frequently people mistake them for twins.

This was the best pose I could get, with the promise I'd take them into the Prairiefire Discovery Center.
L-R: Aesa and Tay

The main reason for my trip to the Midwest was to attend my nephew's September 20 wedding in West Des Moines. However briefly we could be together, this is my family - younger sister and brother, and our dad who's 84, and looking great!

While I was away, my friend and fellow quilt collaborator Lora, texted to say that our quilt, Ad Libbing won first place in the medium-size/duet category at QuiltFest Jacksonville (Florida)! What a marvelous surprise, especially from a show that predominantly displays traditional quilts! 
Ad Libbing, 71" X 71"
The Jacksonville quilt show opens today, Thursday, September 25  and runs through Saturday, the 27th. Lora and I haven't talked about the prize money yet, but I'm pretty sure we're splitting the $300 prize. :-)  Yay us! Linda

19 comments:

  1. Wow, another win, congratulations. Did you quilt it? I can't quite remember but it does look familiar? In any case, it's fantastic. And yes, your grandsons look indeed like twins. I can only imagine how busy your daughter must be with those two rascals. Very cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your win. The quilt is beautiful. Glad you had such a good time in KC and thanks for posting the photos of those adorable boys. Your family looks wonderful and your dad looks like he's going full steam ahead. No place like home, though, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud and happy for you and Lora on your winning entry "Ad Libbing". From what I saw on the recent "shop hop", there is a big interest in modern fabric and design. You were ahead of the curve and Thanks for bringing it to the Villages. Your little guys do look so much alike, precious and all boy!! Glad you had a great visit. Will be anxious to see your new tops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun time you had! Have you come home for a rest- visiting, a wedding and playing nana to those two whirlwinds would have anyone worn out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Linda! Another win for another gorgeous quilt! The boys do look like they could be twins...both are adorable. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you had fun, those boys are precious. Sooooo happy for your big win, that is such a competitive show. The quiltig is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Linda. Another greatly deserved win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful you got to spend some time with your family and go to a wedding. I love weddings!
    Congratulations on your quilt, not only is the design wonderful but the quilting is too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had twin cousins a year older than me. I also had a sister 13 months younger than me.... guess what we wore? hand me down twin clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! I'd love to meet you two.
    Have a great weekend and congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your quilting success.
    Lots of family time in this post. Can't believe how those boys have grown and very handsome they are too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to you and Lora. Went to the Jax show yesterday and saw your quilt. Good show.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your win. Your quilt is lovely as usual. The boys look like they are a hand full. What a fun time it sounds like you had visiting in KC and with your family. You look happy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm imagining you hitting the ground running as you exited your plane, Linda....running straight to your sewing room!! You probably have a top completed by now! Thanks for hanging out with me in KC and giving up some of your precious grandson time. I never realized that Asa had caught up with Tay in height like that!! They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're just a cute as a button. I can see the apple didn't fall too far from the tree! It's in the genes! Glad you had a fun trip. Congrats on your win.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WaHoo on your win!!! The quilt is beautiful and the quilting is absolutely amazing. Hope you're entering QuiltCon too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. First off, I had a big grin on my face when reading about your lovely quilt and the honors/win! Congratulations! And then I was smiling too when you wrote about how hard it was to get a photo of the little guys. (I have the same problem with one set of my grands--I'll just have to wait for them to grow up and sit still.)

    Loved seeing your family--winning smiles on all of them. You must love seeing them, as well as Lollyquiltz! What a fun and busy trip you had, you lucky girl. We all need some R&R like this!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin