Friday, July 25, 2014

Happy Together, and Other Happies

You might remember that I completed this quilt top a number of weeks ago. But after studying it, and then chatting through it with "my design advisor" Anne at SpringleafStudios, I decided to buy some more of the fabric and replace the side borders. Those hot pink blooms were too distracting.

Here is the same fabric called "Brassica" by Philip Jacobs - just cut at different places in the yardage to make replacement side borders. I like it much better!

I've prepared the backing for this 68-1/2" X 68-1/2" top using a tone-on-tone print I bought at Craft Depot when visiting Sydney, Australia. I think this choice is entirely appropriate since the appliqué blocks were made by talented Australian, Julia.

Doesn't the fabric print bear a strong resemblance to Maori (New Zealand) designs?!

I'll again use a double batting - Quilter's Dream poly, and Quilter's Dream wool - to make the quilt sandwich.

At our July 14 CentralFloridaMQG meeting Gloria shared her "quilt story" that began with a family of quilters. This antique quilt is made with a block that appears to be a variation on a Churn Dash. When I got home, I grabbed my Barbara Brackman book, Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns, to search for the block and its name. It goes by both True Blue and Prairie Queen. 

I had to try it with modern fabrics! Both blocks are made with solids and Terra Australis by Emma Jean Jansen. I love this block! I think I see a whole True Blue quilt in my future. 
True Blue, 12-1/2" X 12-1/2" unfinished
Another quick thing I made is this Ultimate Summer Hexie Coasters, an English paper-piecing design by CraftyPod, for Robert Kaufman. The pattern is intended to encourage quilters to buy a pack of pre-cut Kona hexagons to make these 5-1/2" X 6-1/2" coasters.

Since I already have lots of solids, I made my own version. Using card stock, I printed 1-1/2" (the measurement of one side of the hexagon) hexagons which are smaller than the 1-5/8" hexagons in the tutorial download. Eight hexies are needed for one coaster. Also, instead of cutting hexagon shapes, I used this Paperpieces chart to cut fabric squares. See the aqua hexie below. 

This is such a clever design, though it looks quite odd as the pieces are whip-stitched together. But it turns out so cute! From one point across to another point, my coaster measures 6".

Whether you make only one coaster, or a set of six or eight, I recommend this as an ideal project for first-time English paper-piecers. Linda 

15 comments:

  1. I do like the new border better too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, those side borders do look better after you've changed them. Cute coaster too and it would indeed make a perfect project for a first time EPPer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the change you made in the border - good for you with taking the time to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretties all round! The re-do on the border is great and the EPP makes a lovely coaster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, what a difference the new border makes. The eye went right to the large pink blooms instead of the lovely applique blocks in the previous fabric, at least in the photo. This looks good. Prairie Queen block- very nice. Hexies, too. You do stay plenty busy! All in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving all this happy stitching, Linda😄👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What an amazing difference the border makes by cutting it that way!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been busy, love the Kaffe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is amazing how much better the border looks without the big pink roses. Excellent job Linda. Hope you are well.
    Hugs and Blessings Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am impressed you felt so strongly about the borders that you ordered fabric and took them OFF. Thanks for showing us what a different cut in the fabric does for the "look". A lot of work but now that it is done there will be none of the wishing I had done it different. Smart you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Unknown, It's nice of you to make such kind remarks. I'm sorry I don't know who you are, nor how to reply to you. But thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to see the new border and definitely worth the effort. Yes your backing does have a very strong Maori design on it. A great coaster design and would be a good hand project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those borders work much better, Linda. Well worth the effort! Cute coasters. I made some pin cushions that were constructed the same way and before I stuffed them I thought they'd make great coasters. Great minds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda I agree with you - the new borders made a big difference and I like it. Love those coasters...and the new block. I'm way behind on everything right now since I've been traveling and am on the road again this afternoon. Soon, I hope, I'll be back in the sewing room. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a difference the second border makes, even though it is the same fabric. And those hexie coasters are super cute!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin