Sunday, November 11, 2012

Delayed a Day

Today I was supposed to fly home after being in Kansas City with our daughter since October 27. Today I learned that if it's at all possible, it's best to fork over the $120 more it costs for a direct flight than it is to save money by making connecting flights.

American Airlines was supposed to fly me to Tampa via Dallas. What happened is that the plane we were to fly to Dallas on was overfilled during fueling. The excess fuel ran across the tarmac, creating a safety hazard.

Initially, we were told it would take 20 minutes to clean up. You can see a crew sweeping up the substance that was sprinkled over the fuel to absorb the liquid.

In fact, the flight was delayed several hours.

Though I hesitated, I decided at the get-go to return to our daughter's house and catch a 6 a.m. Monday morning flight from KC to Chicago to Tampa... all at the expense of American Airlines. This seemed like a better option than getting to Tampa Sunday night at 10 p.m. make which would have made my husband have to wait for me more than three hours longer. What I didn't know when I made the new reservation is that my luggage would go to Tampa without me! (Edited to explain: Luggage was not allowed to be removed from the plane due to hazardous conditions for baggage handlers.)

Did you know? I have a horrible fear of flying. It's been more than two years since I've flown anywhere. On the way to the airport today I told my daughter I would rather have dental work than get on a plane.

So this post finds me back at my daughter's house. I'm wearing borrowed clothes and have a new toothbrush. My travel clothes are for Florida's 75F (23C) degree weather. It's expected to get to 20F (-7C) here tonight.

I can't help but recall when I had a similar flying incident in May 2010. When returning home from a visit with my daughter, due to plane damage during take-off, my flight returned to the airport. That time I also stayed with my daughter.  I wrote in that blog post, "Some things are never meant to fly."  I'm still that "some thing." Linda

12 comments:

  1. Oh no, what a nuisance! I thought it was regulation to unload the luggage if someone doesn't board the plane? At least it is in Europe as well as in Asia. Makes more sense to me and it seems they would have had plenty of time to take your suitcase out. I hope your flight will go smoothly today.
    PS: I used to have fear of flying too, but miraculously lost it over the last few year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. Our son has had some bad luck flying recently. It's not like it used to be!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flying these days is just HORRID!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh No. Sorry to read of your troubles. I do hope you make it home soon Linda. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Linda, I hate flying too.
    I don't take the belt off until we land....even if it's hours later, no little ladies room for me, till I land!...
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, I'm sorry to hear about that but tomorrow you'll sure be home safely. Take care
    Edith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, Linda, all that trouble would certainly unsettle even a confident traveller, so I can imagine your nervousness. I well recall your delay in May 2010, and how over the moon I was to see you walk through that gate when I thought you were in the air on your way home to the US! What a fantastic day that was, such a bonus. I hope Jill has plenty of woollens to keep you warm till you fly out tomorrow to your Aussie-type weather in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can so identify with your fear of flying! Praying that you will have had a safe journey home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Linda, I'm so sorry about all of this. However, you are quite brave to face your fears and fly to see your grandies and wherever else you want to go. I hope the rest of your journey home is safe and uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In all things God does have a reason. I think you made a good choice to stay (I'm that big chicken with you), and I do hope you are safely home by now ('cuz I'm a bit pokey to see this)!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe you were delayed again with your flight - I can see why you don't like flying ! but its funny that I found your blog right around the time that you were delayed in Sydney :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so believe you about the flying. I don't think I'll ever get comfortable with it. Earlier this year, we missed a flight (not our fault) and had to stay an extra day in Arizona. Like you, our bags made it and we were left without. I was never so happy to get home.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin