We're thrilled that our new furniture finally arrived.
It's still pretty bare though, isn't it? That little TV will eventually go into my sewing room and a larger, 46" one will go in that spot. We need lamps too!
A 9' X 12' area rug is a priority, for defining the space and making the room comfortable. The sofa and love seat are a pin-stripe beige and light brown with light brown piped edges.
We're very happy with the all the furniture, especially the tropical print chair, but the pattern in it is making finding a rug more challenging. Note that the area behind the chair is meant to be the dining room, but we'll make it into a conversation corner... one that also needs a couple chairs, bookcase, and another area rug. Help!
The only rug we've come across that might be a possibility for the living area is this one. The colors are right, but the design might be more contemporary than tropical. No surprise. It looks like a quilt design!
I've just about had my fill of shopping, and more shopping, trying to make the right choices!
However, my new pressing table is definitely a right choice. I meant it to be easy to move and put away, and it is. That's for the rare occasion that we have so many house guests that this second bedroom is needed for sleeping.
To make the pressing table I started with these two Ikea "Vika Artur" trestle legs for $30 each. They look like sawhorses and are meant to be used for a drafting table. The feature I like is that the top of each trestle can be raised or lowered to one of several heights. Just move the peg into the hole for the height desired.
For the pressing table top, I went to The Villages Woodshop to ask if one of the 700 members of The Villages Woodworker's Club would be able to cut a board to size for me. Since the trestle leg is 28" across, I asked for a board cut 30" X 48".
Within two hours I had a table top cut from oak particle board, for $21!
The woodworker even rounded the corners and curved the edges! You can't get that from a box store!
With another $36 worth of supplies from Joann's - heat-resistant fabric (that silver stuff); white duck cloth; pre-packaged extra-wide, double-fold binding; and 1/2"-wide elastic, I made two removable covers for the board. Please excuse the messy sewing room. It's a work in progress.
The silver heat resistant fabric went down first, topped by duck cloth.
And there you have it! The pressing table looks and functions just as I hoped.
Ah. One more step toward making this a workable room. Now it's time to do a little sewing. Linda