Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Winter

Monday morning we awoke to two inches (5 cm) of snow. While this is by no means out-of-the-ordinary for Iowa, it does make Iowans pause and think about the rest of the winter that is sure to come. With a high temperature today of 25 F (-3 C), this snow, and more that is coming, will surely be with us for a long time. And coming, it is!

Streets in West Des Moines, Iowa looked like this by 9:00 a.m.
The cities of West Des Moines, Clive, Urbandale, Des Moines and others, generally do an excellent job of preparing for predicted snow, and maintaining safe streets. Well, as safe as you can get driving on patches of snow and ice.

The people who drive these snowplows often spend long hours, night and day, keeping streets clear for commuters.
So as I followed a snowplow this morning, I was reminded to be patient as it cleared the way and sanded the streets for my safety.
Weather forecasters are now predicting our first blizzard of the winter. It's expected to begin Tuesday, with snowfall of 8-12 inches (20 to 30 cm) by Tuesday night. By Wednesday morning, winds are expected to increase to 30-40 miles per hour (48-64 kilometers per hour) which will produce "white out conditions." That means if you're driving anyplace, particularly across rural Iowa, you won't be able to see ahead of you!

I'm resigned to the inevitable, but I'm sure not ready for it. However, when it comes, you'll find me hunkered down indoors, well-supplied for hours of sewing, stitchery and quilting. Food becomes only an afterthought when stay-at-home sewing time is at hand.
(This post is specifically for the enlightenment of quilting friends and followers Down Under. Girlfriends... You have no idea! Stay cool in your pools in Oz!)

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to have a little snow, but I'm picky. I only want a little and I want it to be gone in two days! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks serious! While I'd love to be warm and cosy and confined to base with my quiltmaking to keep me warm,I wouldn't fancy the treacherous driving conditions or the freezing winds! Brrr.. I hope you stay safe over the next few days as the nasty weather blows in.(And I'll try not to complain too loudly about the heat here LOL)

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin