Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Saturday of Sewing (but not a quilt retreat)

As of today, a "honey-do" is off my list. I spent nearly the whole day making a floor cover for the back of our new Nissan Rogue (see "Clunker Kaput" blog post). I quickly realized it was easier to work on the floor cover while the Rogue was sitting in the garage. It was my template!

Since hubby wanted a floor cover in the colors of his college alma mater - the University of Northern Iowa (UNI) - I raided my stash for purple and gold fabrics. I was also able to use some UNI fabric he purchased at the University Bookstore.

Here I've strip-pieced several fabrics. The Rogue floor mat is my pattern.
Then, using fusible fleece as a batting, and another print for the back, I placed the top and backing right sides together, and aligned and sewed the edges. I turned the whole thing right-side out and then quilted with invisible thread along the seams to hold the layers together.

It was a "tah-dah" moment to try it on in the Rogue.
That's the UNI Panther print in the foreground,nearest the hatch opening.
The Panther print is actually a separate piece that's velcroed to the floor mat. I planned it with doggie, Hogan, in mind. The piece flips down over the Rogue bumper as protection from scratches made by Hogan's nails. The velcro makes it easily removable for washing.
Our first UNI football game tailgate is September 12 and hubby's already looking forward to traveling in our UNI-mobile. Personally, since finishing this, I am reminded how much more fun it is to make quilts.

2 comments:

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin