Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday Flaunt - Baby-Bub's Quilt

This Nana went a little overboard on the backing for Baby-Bub's Aussie Animal quilt. I found these neat baby-related words printed on fabric at a recent visit to Block Party Studios. The colors coordinated so nicely with the quilt top, that I had to include the word blocks in the quilt back.

I didn't want a precise row/column layout, so on graph paper I drew a staggered layout that I followed for cutting and piecing. It was somewhat of a challenge to cut because the fabric is a directional print, and piecing involved some set-in seams. But I'm pleased with the result.
The words and sayings will grow with the baby. Maybe into his teen years!
After sandwiching the quilt, on a beautiful morning this week, I moved my sewing table and machine onto the back deck for a couple hours of free-motion quilting. The sunny day made it easy to clearly see the stitches.
I like how quilting around each animal makes the animal's profile appear on the quilt back.
More quilting to come.

Check out Cinzia's blog to see the list of 16 quilters participating in "Friday Flaunt."

4 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, great that you are able to sit outside and quilt. Here in Switzerland it is too warm to sit outside but this afternoon/evening there should be some rain.
    Edith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Party Animals has to be my favourite label and I agree it is beaut how the quilting and labels lined up.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin