Friday, June 19, 2009

Fabric Shopping

There's nothing like quilt shop shopping to cure whatever malaise a quilter might feel. Even a case of the blahs improve when you can bring home new fabs. Hoping to feel uplifted, and looking for inspiration to make two quilts, I visited two local quilt shops.

Our first grandbaby - a boy - is due in October, in Sydney, Australia, and making his quilt will come later this summer. For now, my attention is on a quilt for ten year-old big sister. Selecting the lime and turquoise colors made for fun shopping, and will no doubt be fun to piece too.
The quilt design is a simple one-patch log cabin. The large medallion print, a fab from Free Spirit, will be the 14" X 14" cabin center. The large dot print at the top is the backing. For extra interest and a feminine touch, the top and bottom edges of the quilt are scalloped. In any case, piecing should be a snap.

The pieces in the photo have already been washed, as I do with all new fabrics as soon as they come home with me. I like knowing I'm working with clean fabric, and that it has already been treated like it will be as a finished quilt - machine washable.

How about you... What's your personal policy about washing, and why?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin